Windows, you did it again...

Discussion about hacker.org's server
GeorgeTI

Windows, you did it again...

Post by GeorgeTI »

It seems that either Windows (TM) personally hate me, or they just suck. I have a linux box, with VirtualBox installed, and I have one virtual machine with Backtrack 5 R1 installed. For experimentation reasons I decided to install a Windows XP virtual machine.....
The horrors....
My main problem (for now) is to properly set up the NIC. I have tried (and installed the drivers of) all available NICs (either intel or AMD) at NAT and bridged mode (through eth0 AND wlan0) and still there seems that there is no connection between the VM and the outside world. I have internet access, the VM doesn't. As if this isn't enough, I have to MANUALLY start the service of Network Connections every freaking time *starts foaming out of the mouth* and either reconfigure or uninstall/reinstall (Windows' #2 of 2 problem solving techniques, #1 is restart) the NIC drivers, and still it doesn't transmit / receive even one packet. Any ideas on the matter? Much obliged :)
George T. I.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

I assume you are behind a wireless router.

If you have the the NIC in virtual box to bridged you should get and IP address from your router on the virtual machine. In this case if you check the IP address on the XP virtual machine, you will should have an IP address similar to 192.168.x.x (the x's being any number between 1-254).

If you have th NIC in virtual box set to NAT, then the virtual machine should get an IP address from virtual box itself and would be something like 10.x.x.x (again the x's representing any number between 1 and 255)

Check you Adapter setting in the Windows virtual machine and make sure you have any IP address similar to that listed above. However, if the IP address start with 169.254.x.x than the machine is not getting an IP address assigned to it via dhcp and Windows is assigning it's own IP address. In which case you will not have internet access. Also make sure you virtual NIC is not set to internal, if it is you will ot have internet access.

Also if you have the virtual NIC set to bridged and you have MAC address filtering setup on your wireless router, the virtual machine will not be able to connect until you enter the Virtual NIC's MAC address in the routers MAC filtering table.

If you are getting an IP address then trying pinging you router first, if successful, then try pinging a website such as google.com

Start there to try to trouble shoot the problem.