Problems to click the squares

HoDam

Problems to click the squares

Post by HoDam »

Hello,

i like to playing this game and solved already this only by brain until level 117.

But sometimes i have big problems to click the squares, specially on the left border and corners.

I use already the zoom function of the browser (firefox) , but it doesn't solve this problem. Sometimes it goes the wrong way. Is there a undo function, or a possibilty to play this game with the keyboard?
Perhaps it will be a problem of the browser?

regards
HoDam
PS:(sorry for my bad english)
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

I implemented a local client to make it a bit smoother to solve by hand - it uses the arrow keys, and supports backtracking. I don't know whether adum would approve, but if he does then I'm happy to share it. It's not a solver, by any means - just a client that fetches the webpage, presents the puzzle, lets you solve it, and submits the solution when you manage it.
adum

Post by adum »

i definitely approve if you want to share.
HoDam

Post by HoDam »

thanks,

that will be great.

If it will be approved, it will be fine to download this client.

thx

regards

HoDam
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

OK, I've uploaded it here:

http://gfoot.homeip.net/~gfoot/hacker.org/coil/

You need both files, but only run gui.py. You'll need to install Python 2.5 or 2.6 (not 3.x), and you need python-tk - I think it's all bundled together for Windows, but I had to install it separately under Ubuntu (sudo apt-get install python-tk).

It's a bit crude to set up - you need to edit gui.py and set your username and password. You can also edit the maximum width and height of the board in pixels - it then auto-scales depending on the board dimensions, hopefully keeping everything on-screen.

After that, when you run it, it will fetch your default level (which may take a few seconds), present it, let you solve it, and submit the solution (which, again, may take a few seconds). First click on a start square, then use the arrow keys, and backspace to backtrack. Press "restart" to try a different start square.

It doesn't check that the submission succeeds, and it will just close after submitting, so you need to run it again to get the next level up. If you know Python you should be able to iron out these problems, but clearly it didn't bother me enough to sort them out at the time!

Finally, whatever you do, don't use this as an example of good coding - it's a mixture of "My First Tk App" and "My Second Python Program", so it's really not a good example of either!
HoDam

Post by HoDam »

Hello GFoot,

thank you very much.
It is working fine and very fast.

Perfect job!

thanks a lot

Hodam
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

Nice GUI - but when using TK, how can I access the colour of the grid square in the GUI? I can see the code which sets it, but I would like to retrieve the colour.
The code which sets the colour is:

Code: Select all

self.canvas.itemconfigure( self.squares[(x,y)], fill=color )
in the gui.py file.

<EDIT> I got it! Google is my friend :)
There is no spoon.