Compression

Discussion of challenges you have already solved
wrtlprnft

Compression

Post by wrtlprnft »

Was the .sitx part really necessary?
You know, finding a windows box (no macos one available), deal with the freaking StuffIt site, install a bunch of other crap (namely the .net framework) to get it to work… That's been the most frustrating of all challenges so far.
adum

Post by adum »

this challenge sucks. i should probably just delete it.
tails

Post by tails »

I like the idea of this challenge. What about changing the .sitx part to the ordinary .sit format?
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

No, I think it was fun, actually (I'd never heard of BinHex before), and way more interesting than gzipping the same file over and over again. The company that sells StuffIt appears so evil to me (requiring an e-mail address and not providing an opt-out to their crappy newsletter, having a proprietary format their own tool can't decrypt on all platforms and generally making something as simple as an unarchiver so complicated that you can't easily run in in wine) that it shouldn't be included here, at least in my opininon.
Allosentient

Post by Allosentient »

If anything it is a good learning experience for dealing with that kind of crap
m!nus

Post by m!nus »

creating an unpacker for some kind of compression (whether an invented one or some algorith like huffman) would be fun; maybe even for HVM? :D
Mütze

Post by Mütze »

Today, I've installed Windows 7 Beta in a VirtualBox in order to solve this challenge.

I'm glad, I finally solved it. This looks like an easy challenge, but the sitx part was
very frustrating, as I have no Windows computer. I tried to install the sitx-Expander
in wine, but that did not work.
aurora

Post by aurora »

i'm glad, that i'm sitting in front of an imac -- no problems here with any of the compression formats :). the challenge was fun compared to the challenge i solved before this one (floating).
doomi

Post by doomi »

I liked it : )

7-Zip did a good job on Windows, but hqx stopped me there.
so I continued on the Mac with StuffIt which was already installed.
moose

Post by moose »

I did it on Linux. Simply installed StuffIt 2010 for windows and used wine. I was asked for an email, but I didn't give it to them.

The sitx-part was by far more challenging than all other compression parts of this challenge. Removing this part would make it too easy. (As long as StuffIt 2010 is available for free).
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

moose wrote:I did it on Linux. Simply installed StuffIt 2010 for windows and used wine. I was asked for an email, but I didn't give it to them.

The sitx-part was by far more challenging than all other compression parts of this challenge. Removing this part would make it too easy. (As long as StuffIt 2010 is available for free).
Under Mac OS X, there's a free program called The Unarchiver which did all of it for me :)
There is no spoon.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

laz0r wrote: Under Mac OS X, there's a free program called The Unarchiver which did all of it for me
There is also a beta version which has been compiled for Windows to be used on the command line. I think I used it for one of the steps :)
rain1024

Post by rain1024 »

stuffIT is a suitable tool for this problem. :))
exomo

Post by exomo »

Stuffit wnats payment data even for the trial version and charge you if you don't remove your trial version fast enough, no way I', going to install this.
Good enough Linux has an The Unarchiver , too that can extract all of this.
Grevas

Post by Grevas »

Yes, this challenge sucks. It's only challenging by beeing obtuse; the way to go atleast is straightforward (7z can just open the initial file, not much thinking there)...

But atleast currently it's somewhat doable.
- 7z has a plugin to deal with hqx, no mac necessary
- used "unar" on in a linux shell to unpack sitx