MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!!

Discussion about hacker.org's server
0.Dark.Thought

MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!!

Post by 0.Dark.Thought »

For my science project this year I am entering in the computer sciences category. I am going to be programing a simple binary to decimal converter. I'll be using Java. I'm currently doing research and reading a ton of material and I've read that, while I can use Window's Notepad, there are better text editors out there. Any Reccommendations? Also I was wondering if The Java SE Development Kit 6 (JDK 6), is the only compiler out there (if I'm correct and it is a compiler).

And any other tips on programing in java are welcome.

THANKS!!!!
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
Adrians

Post by Adrians »

As a Programmer's text editor, I recommend Notepad++ (it's free and open-source, has syntax highlighting and is easy-to-use; link: http://notepad-plus.sf.net/ ) , and as compiler&stuff - JDK as the only official "compiler".

As the idea, it is simple, but may be utile (you can make it even more useful as an IP decimal-binary calculator), and add also hexa conversion (the one that goes from 0 to F).

Personally, I don't like Java because I think is kind of bloated, and recommend something like C/C++ (classical programming), Python (scripting), Lisp/Scheme (functional programming) or JavaScript (to run it inside a web-page).

Good luck !
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

I hope you succeed your competition! Let us know if you are winning! :D
The Assistant of the Clan. The White Orders.
brazzy

Re: MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!!

Post by brazzy »

0.Dark.Thought wrote:Also I was wondering if The Java SE Development Kit 6 (JDK 6), is the only compiler out there (if I'm correct and it is a compiler).
Sun's JDK contains, among many other things, a compiler. It is by no means the only Java compiler, there's also a JDK from IBM as well as gcj from the GNU compiler suite. It doesn't matter much which one you use, especially for the simple programs you'll write as a beginner.
treader

Post by treader »

If you are using java I reccomend you download bluej/greenj.
TREADER
TREADER
TREADER
TREADER
TREADER
TREADER
Zaffron

Post by Zaffron »

Dude, hes probably DONE with his science project seeing as this was posted LAST YEAR