How to hack padlocks

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Grand_Master

How to hack padlocks

Post by Grand_Master »

Recently I made an experiment.
I got some really(!) strong magnets (about 15-20 N, I think), (originally used for some construction in elevators).

I tried to shake/drag those magnets over a padlock, to induce electricity in its components.
Suprisingly, I was able to unlock different padlocks on different buildings, multiple times.

Now, I want to ask how this is possible. I could do a lot of damage with this technique, if I wanted to.
Am I inducing electricity in the circuit, or am I draging the magnets that controlls the lock out of the way?

(I have talked to an engineer at Beavator, but he didn't beleive me, and said that it was imposible.)
"Learn, grow, teach."
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

what kind of padlocks are we talking here? for a normal old one that wouldn't work, since the column of pins needs to ROTATE, not slide. you mean a deadbolt lock or something? electronic? specifics plz :3

normally i would just plain old pick it, but magnet is a new idea to me, thanks!

~You are a glitch in my reasoning.
Grand_Master

Post by Grand_Master »

I really don't know how those padlocks work. It's the beavator standard ones.
I think that even if the bolts needs to rotate I may cause the lock rotate them for me by inducing electricity into the cicuit.
"Learn, grow, teach."
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

circuit? ok, can you clear something up?

ELECTRONIC or REGULAR OLD PADLOCK.

0.Dark.Thought

Re: How to hack padlocks

Post by 0.Dark.Thought »

Grand_Master wrote:Recently I made an experiment.
I got some really(!) strong magnets (about 15-20 N, I think), (originally used for some construction in elevators).

I tried to shake/drag those magnets over a padlock, to induce electricity in its components.
Suprisingly, I was able to unlock different padlocks on different buildings, multiple times.

Now, I want to ask how this is possible. I could do a lot of damage with this technique, if I wanted to.
Am I inducing electricity in the circuit, or am I draging the magnets that controlls the lock out of the way?

(I have talked to an engineer at Beavator, but he didn't beleive me, and said that it was imposible.)
I HOPE YOU KNOW I JUST SOILED MY ARMOR.
(I hope somone gets that reference)
Anyway that's insane if it's true. How strong are your magnets? What type of padlpocks?
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

can't find anything on a company called beavator o.0

Grand_Master

Post by Grand_Master »

I'm sorry. The company name is "Bewator", and the padlocks looks like this http://se.farnell.com/bewator/sr02168/a ... dp/3540558

The technique works on several models that look pretty much similiar though.

Does anyone know where I can find blueprints for those padlocks? It would be really intressting to learn exactly what the magnets do to the padlocks.

I really can't tell "how" strong my magnets are. But you can place one magnet on either side of your hand and shake it, and the magnets will not drop.
I got some minor wounds due to the magnets when they've clapped together.

I think they can lift about 10-15kg. (I'll check it up sometime.)
"Learn, grow, teach."
PaRaDoX1

Post by PaRaDoX1 »

well first off, its outdated. second, which magnet are you using? (like positive charge or negative) try the magnet with the opposite charge, if that does unlock it, it's probably a bolt being pulled. if not, it COULD be the circuit that you're messing with. (since a circuit that is polarized by a negative charge will do nothing when introduced to a positive charge and vice versa (at least that's what seems logical))
bekarazu tazuneru.