hacker.org revival

Discussion about hacker.org's server
outsider

hacker.org revival

Post by outsider »

Hello everybody here!

I got really nostalgic recently: This site great and I want it to stay alive.

So I thought: Maybe it's time for a rebirth?

My aim is to reimplement the challenges, make it open source and modernize the UI (a bit). I want to keep it very close to the original content.

You can see the project here: https://github.com/Entkenntnis/hacker.org. The project has just started, expect it to take some time to progress.

Anyway, if are any concerns about copyright, etc. I am open to suggestions. Currently, I am licensing the project as MIT and see it as great contribution to the open source world.

And just if you wonder: Solutions are stored as hashes, so you can not break (most) challenges by looking into the source code :D
teo2mirce

Post by teo2mirce »

So far it looks good.

If this is not just a small personal project, you should ask adum if he is ok with this (you can find his email in the forum) or another thing you could do is make css/js files to make the current website look modern and ask adum to put it on the website or make a chrome/firefox extension.
outsider

Post by outsider »

Adum gave me permission to reuse his texts, assets, etc. Thank you very much, adum!
outsider

Post by outsider »

A small remark about this project: If you look closely, this site isn't really dead - there are still new people joining it, doing challenges, asking questions ... and adum is also reachable by mail.

Soooooo .... I have decided to pause my project for a open-source version of this site. It was fun to attempt it, but ultimately a lot of work that's not needed right now.

But - in case you speak german and you are interested in something new - you can check out my own version of a challenges server at https://hack.arrrg.de
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

"this site isn't really dead" - Well, it pretty much is. No new challenges or puzzles have been added in a very long time. A lot of stuff is broken by now and does not get fixed. I would call that pretty much dead to be honest.
Iamgone1

Re: hacker.org revival

Post by Iamgone1 »

Long live hacker.org!
aurora

Post by aurora »

mmm ... is it me or does submitting solutions not longer work? (coming back to here after a looooong time).
Grevas

Post by Grevas »

This "project" is already dead, but nonetheless (it doesn't even build, NPM ftw):
Without the Sources for the Challenges (including answers) it's not feasible to relaunch. I've been pondering it too at times This site is a fun introduction to the process of programming, so i liked to toss trainees on here to see how well they adapt & we had something to discuss.

Now with the Map broken it's kinda lost it's charm, also having completly broken challanges is frustrating (i'm looking at you Dungeon Master). I've looked into the git project but discovered that there arealready plenty missing challanges (and i've done only 82 total). I'd be willing to contribute to a relaunch effort, but not if it's hopeless :/