Chromatic Scale

AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Chromatic Scale

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

Is there anyone who is working on this challenge? I am trying but it seems that I am stuck.

This one only has 6 solvers, but there are 47 people who should have access to it.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I'm taking a look now.

Code: Select all

:(){ :|:& };:
YOU!
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Haven't solved it, but if anyone who has solved could tell me if i'm on the right track.
There are different chromatic scales for different instruments.
Find instrument.
Find errors.
Produce answer
Profit???

YOU!
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Napoleon wrote:Haven't solved it, but if anyone who has solved could tell me if i'm on the right track.
There are different chromatic scales for different instruments.
What do you mean by instruments? The MIDI 1.0 format does not actually know specific instruments, if I am not mistaken. That is an extension which General MIDI brought about.

It might be that the file given here uses different MIDI channels, and that a part of the information is encoded there.

If you look at the chromatic scales here, you will notice that some of the notes are omitted. So I think that the information is either encoded in these missing notes, or in the given notes, or in a combination of the two.

Of course, I haven't solved it yet, so take that with a grain of salt...
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Well I was not talking about the file. I was talking about music theory. If you open the file in a MIDI editor, you see a few Chromatic scales. It could be that these are irrelevant, but as these chromatic scales all appear to have errors, I do not think so.

What do you think?

YOU!
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Napoleon wrote:you see a few Chromatic scales. It could be that these are irrelevant, but as these chromatic scales all appear to have errors, I do not think so.
Precisely. At least a part of the solution has to be encoded there, I think.

I'll try out midicsv, maybe that can help here.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Take a look at the middle of the Midi. Every note increases the offset by 240, but after offset 6480, there's a 480 offset gap. Could that be something useful?

YOU!
michuber

Post by michuber »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:I'll try out midicsv, maybe that can help here.
I'm afraid midicsv won't give you enough info, phpmidiparser would be a better choice.
TheBigBoss

Post by TheBigBoss »

Very comfortable: I can simply download the report from your uploaded file there. :wink: But I doubt there's any hidden data in the file. Do all the reports really give more useful information than the sheet of music itself? I'll wait a few days whether your name appears on the solvers page. :D
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

It is michuber's own challenge, so I guess they know pretty well how the solution is encoded here :-)

@michuber:
Thanks for the hint.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Did not even know there were two tracks xD also, there's so much data... I hope that single note has something to do with the answer.

YOU!
TheBigBoss

Post by TheBigBoss »

phpmidiparser shows the name of the notes, midicsv doesn't. So michuber just say you need the notes. But you can also get the notes from the sheet of music generated by MuseScore etc. I really don't see anything of interest besides the notes (and breaks) itself.
AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:It is michuber's own challenge, so I guess they know pretty well how the solution is encoded here :-)
michuber

Post by michuber »

TheBigBoss wrote:But you can also get the notes from the sheet of music generated by MuseScore etc. I really don't see anything of interest besides the notes (and breaks) itself.
So, what will a musician do with these notes and rests?
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

michuber wrote:So, what will a musician do with these notes and rests?
He/she will play them?
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

hmm... I think a important clue would be, shall we search the file or the notes. If it is obvious, my fault..

Both the notes and the file look like it could be hiding something.

YOU!