Where is everyone?

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Tzeny

New site

Post by Tzeny »

:idea:
So we should try to ask adum if he would agree to give us the rights and materials to create a whole new hacker.org. Build from the ground up by the community. I am a big fan of the site, and of the challenge system.

About that, we should let the users choose between the sequential challenge system and a system where you can pick any challenge you like. But, a change would reset your hacker score, how about that?

Also, I think a more transparent points system would be a big help.I am thinking a separate list for each game and for the challenges, and a combined system to determine who is the top hacker.

Finally, I think a tutorials section with content provided by the community would be a great help. A Wiki of sorts. We could also have an utilities section here with useful programs to help with the challenges.

This sounds like a lot of work but with the help of the community I bet we can do it. What do you think?
argyblarg

Re: New site

Post by argyblarg »

Tzeny wrote::idea:
This sounds like a lot of work but with the help of the community I bet we can do it. What do you think?
Honestly, these are great ideas, but that's a lot of work, and it seems like there's no one around to do it. I don't know what was happening in this site's heyday, but the problem is that there's really no community to speak of, as far as I can see. Whatever made it popular is gone.

Case in point: This post I just happened to see today. The next most recent post in the server forum (outside of this thread) was made in October (not counting the spam announcement on New Year's). This is a gap of five months. At the bottom of the server forum thread list, we're going back several years since anything was posted. You can almost see the cobwebs on the shelves and the tumbleweeds drifting around outside.

Without a real community, I don't see much changing around here (actually, any day I kind of expect to see that this site is gone :( )
rmplpmpl

Post by rmplpmpl »

i am coming back every now and then. i am pretty much stuck - there's just a few challenges open, where I think I could succeed, then there's a lot dead ends, where I have no idea how to proceed.
In the past, new challenges kept popping up, but these days are gone. I really would like to see this site being reanimated.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

Tzeny wrote::idea:
So we should try to ask adum if he would agree to give us the rights and materials to create a whole new hacker.org. Build from the ground up by the community. I am a big fan of the site, and of the challenge system.
There are actually quite a few challenge websites out there, hacker.org is by far not the only one. It was probably neither the first one. What is unique about hacker.org is the map of the challenges which unlocks gradually. That is a pretty cool feature.

Unless you were to make a blatant copy of hacker.org, you wouldn't need any permission from adum. As long as the content is original, you can do what you want. It's not like adum, or anybody else for that matter, has a patent on challenge websites. ;)

Actually, what's up with wechall.net? I wanted to give that site as an example, but apparently it is down.

Here are two lists of challenge websites:
25 Websites that Challenge and Sharpen Your Programming Skills with Puzzles
14 Coding Challenges to Help You Train Your Brain
outsider

once...

Post by outsider »

Hi everybody,

I think it's time for some nostalgia. I stumbled across this page in 2009 and was immediately fascinated. I was young and I spent almost all of my time into the challenges. Many great hackers were active, yes, it was a good time indeed, days and nights full of wonder :)

But I grew up, adolescence arrived, other things, people became more important ... and so I slowly lost interest in this page, also as the activity lowered.

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to be part of these days. I loved hacker.org, I loved its map and I loved all the people here. I participated in other hacker websites, but hacker.org is unique. You can feel some kind of "aura" here. Because the people who created this site knew that hacking is not only about great programming, knowledge, smartness .... no: hacking is art

Well, this truth is not hidden: The hacker explores the intersection of art and science in an insatiable quest to understand and shape the world around him.

But you must understand this truth. How to explain?

Well, many challenges are unsolved, I haven't even got a clue. But there are those people who solved them. I admire them, because they have something a have not, they have the answer, but the also know what the challenge is about. There is a passionate feeling in me wanting to know the answer. And the best part is: The answer to all those challenges is simple, mostly just a string. And even the method of decoding the message is easy. And it is also not difficult to explain how a challenge can be solved. You just need an idea. In the years of solving challenges I learned the value of ideas. And I learned that the right idea can be infinitly difficult to find for me, but there is no way around it. Forget about money, education, work - you can not buy answers in the grocery store. Finding the idea is an art and our quest is to find it.

And the creators of this page knew this. Every challenge is build on top of this point of view, there are many funny moments.

As a solver in those days, I didn't know about art or whatever, I just solved the challenges. But the challenges guided me well and now I can say that every minute I spent here was valuable.

I'd like to be a guide one day to show people the beauty of the world, but I still have much to learn.

But you can find this truth everywhere, not only here, not only with hacking. My impression is that hacker.org's time is over. It feels like in a museum here, my memories come back - but it is not really a place to make new experiences.

Like a old man looking back on his life. Well, for me, hacker.org is over. Start something afresh.

Greetings
outsider
artyomov

Post by artyomov »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote: Actually, what's up with wechall.net? I wanted to give that site as an example, but apparently it is down.
I was wondering the same. I found this post while trying to figure out what happened to WeChall. And yes, I registered and got to level 20 in Mortal Coil so that I could reply :P
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

outsider, that was excellently written. Couldn't have said it better myself.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

artyomov wrote: I was wondering the same. I found this post while trying to figure out what happened to WeChall. And yes, I registered and got to level 20 in Mortal Coil so that I could reply :P
Perhaps this explains it: Link
"WeChall considered a security risk by hosting company, server will be moved when gizmore returns from mysterious leave"
Valar_Dragon

Post by Valar_Dragon »

I just noticed today that in challenges theres a visual histogram like java file showing how many people have solved x problems! Its pretty cool! It wasn't there last time I checked the leaderboard, is this new, or was my java being derpus?
helly0d

Post by helly0d »

:) It's 3 or 4 years old.
If it works, it's obsolete !
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Valar_Dragon wrote:a visual histogram like java file showing how many people have solved x problems
A java file? Huh. What exactly do you mean? Perhaps something like this?
Valar_Dragon

Post by Valar_Dragon »

Oh woops I should have specified, I mean the one at this link:
http://www.hacker.org/challenge/top.php
for the top hacker!
avrrobot

Post by avrrobot »

I find it kind of sad, that even this lead to nothing. I like the system of the challenges and
games on this website way better than anything else I have encountered.
The problem is, that even if we rebuilt all of this, we still wouldn't have enough people interested in the site to bring it back to glory.
The whole thing clearly is a vicius cycle in which people drift away from this site because nothing is happening anymore because so many people leave it.
If anyone has any idea how to solve these issues, I would happily support that.

avrrobot
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Best what you could do is to solve as many problems as possible and encourage others to do the same ...
avrrobot

Post by avrrobot »

Welll that is what I am doing, however not in the rates you do