Do You Speak Calc?

AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Do You Speak Calc?

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

Since there is no topic for this challenge yet...

"Do You Speak Calc?" - Hm. I wouldn't know of any language or programming language which goes by that name, except maybe for this. That doesn't look much like 7-bit binary though.

I'm not looking for a hint yet, since I only opened up this challenge recently...
but maybe there is somebody here who also has not found the solution and likes to discuss some approaches.
guga

Post by guga »

I thought about any unusual character encoding like the one of my old TI-89 calculator, since if it was a programming language or assembly code the amount of data seems to be too few. But I only get rubbish.
So what is the calc meaning? Only an abbreviation? If not, there would only be the Windows calc.exe or OpenOffce/LibreOffice calc. Or the Anglo-Saxon calc-rune, as wikipedia just told me ;-)
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

guga wrote:I thought about any unusual character encoding like the one of my old TI-89 calculator, since if it was a programming language or assembly code the amount of data seems to be too few. But I only get rubbish.
Yeah me too.
So what is the calc meaning? Only an abbreviation? If not, there would only be the Windows calc.exe or OpenOffce/LibreOffice calc. Or the Anglo-Saxon calc-rune, as wikipedia just told me ;-)
The "Calc" rune is just part of an alphabet though - the actual language would be Old English or Old Frisian.

It would be nice to know if really a language is meant here, or if this is rather a red herring.
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

The rune is a red herring! To me it helped to identify the space. It turns out that space can be represented in exactly and only one way...
marinuso

Post by marinuso »

Does the grouping of the bits in groups of seven have anything to do with it, or is that a red herring too?
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Not a red herring, the 7-bit grouping is directly related to the Challlenge's title.
Learn the rules if you want to break them effectively. Dalai Lama XV