Didactic text 2

AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

laz0r wrote: The answer does follow English pronunciation rules though...
How so? Isn't there one vowel too many for it to be homophone to an actually existing English word?
bodjo

Post by bodjo »

rmplpmpl wrote: No Hex, no ASCII, it's much simpler
how should I get a word from numbers without hex or ASCII !!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I should start over because all my previous approaches were based on ASCII code :evil:
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:
laz0r wrote: The answer does follow English pronunciation rules though...
How so? Isn't there one vowel too many for it to be homophone to an actually existing English word?
I've never heard of a vowel to consonant ratio.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

DaymItzJack wrote: I've never heard of a vowel to consonant ratio.
And I've never heard of the "word" which is the solution here. :P

P.S.: There is such a thing, see e.g. this link.
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

DaymItzJack wrote: I've never heard of a vowel to consonant ratio.
And I've never heard of the "word" which is the solution here. :P

P.S.: There is such a thing, see e.g. this link.
Yes but since I solved this years ago, I solved it again today and I knew the answer was an answer as soon as I saw it. The challenge isn't difficult and if you find anything that looks close to an English word -- which it does -- then you've found the answer.

I actually just used the numbers posted in this thread to find the answer too, so more than half of the problem is solved for anyone who looks at this thread.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

In my opinion, the answer looks more like a Spanish word. ;)

You need to keep in mind that English is a language that distorts the pronunciation of the vowels, whereas many other European Languages (like German, Polish, Italian, Spanish, ...) keep the original pronunciation as it is in languages like Latin and ancient Greek. So what might look or sound obvious to a native English speaker might not at all be obvious to a German, Pole, Italian or Spanish guy. Or girl.
Last edited by AMindForeverVoyaging on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:In my opinion, the answer looks more like a Spanish word. ;)

You need to keep in mind that English is a language that distorts the vowels when pronouncing them, whereas many other European Languages (like German, Polish, Italian, Spanish, ...) keep the original Latin pronunciation. So what might look or sound obvious to a native English speaker might not at all be obvious to a German, Pole, Italian or Spanish guy. Or girl.
The fact that you get a 7-9 character answer all in plain text using the same method on an easy challenge is enough information for you to guess "oh hey, this is correct."

If we as humans could not put knowledge with common sense or any type of ability to guess, these challenges would be impossible. Half of these challenges I DO guess and I do say "I'm going to keep going down this path.. it looks plausible." The answer you get is plausible and that's all anyone needs to know.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

DaymItzJack wrote:The answer you get is plausible
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

It would be interesting to know what would happen if the solution were a French word, or a German or Polish one. Maybe then the native English speakers would complain. ;)
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

DaymItzJack wrote:The answer you get is plausible
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

It would be interesting to know what would happen if the solution were a French word, or a German or Polish one. Maybe then the native English speakers would complain. ;)
As long as it's all a-zA-Z, I would not care. If I find a word or letters that look like an answer, I try it if I think it could be the answer. I don't think there is one place on this forum or website that says all the answers are English words, you have to take what you get.
rogger

Post by rogger »

woot :D
yout got it... think easy
fragman

Post by fragman »

I had a couple of ideas now... using the number pairs mathematically (add them, subtract them, divide them) was one of the more complicated ones, until I saw the hint about "don't make it too complicated".
So I tried using the most simple codes I could think of referred by numbers... word in a scentence, letter in a word, letter in the whole string, all just came up with complete garbage... So could someone please tell me: are these approaches a) too simple, b) too complicated or c) total crap and completely on the wrong track?
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

Hopefully this isn't too far but the numbers are an index (by index, I mean sort of like an array) of some type of string, book, paragraph, or text. You are on the right track sort of, no math is really involved.
Bliss

Post by Bliss »

Do we have to use the text in the challenge after we got the numbers listed above ? or the decryption of the numbers is independent to the text ?
Truly yours
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

Bliss wrote:Do we have to use the text in the challenge after we got the numbers listed above ? or the decryption of the numbers is independent to the text ?
You should interpret the numbers seperately from the text.
There is no spoon.
Nudin

Post by Nudin »

DaymItzJack wrote:
AMindForeverVoyaging wrote: The fact that you get a 7-9 character answer all in plain text using the same method on an easy challenge is enough information for you to guess "oh hey, this is correct."
Don't bring people to wrong paths - it ist NOt 7-9 chars long. (it's a bit longer)