Life Skills

deutronium

Life Skills

Post by deutronium »

Doesn't the maximum population on the dimensions of the "world"? And also the question does not say where on the screen/world the given shape should be placed.
Did I miss something?
adum

Post by adum »

world is infinite
deutronium

Post by deutronium »

How could I think it would be *this* trivial :-(
Chocoholic

Post by Chocoholic »

I'm quite sure that I have the correct values for this pretty well known pattern, but the challenge does not accept them. I also tried +/-1 for the generation.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? Is there something that makes it less trivial than it seems?
semper

Post by semper »

Chocoholic wrote:I'm quite sure that I have the correct values for this pretty well known pattern, but the challenge does not accept them. I also tried +/-1 for the generation.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? Is there something that makes it less trivial than it seems?
Well, it's not the pretty well known pattern you think of. It just looks similar...
Chocoholic

Post by Chocoholic »

Yes, it is exactly the one I meant. But I just tried entering it again and now the exact same answer I tried before was accepted. Maybe that was some artefact of the hacking incident that has just been fixed by an admin?

Edit: or maybe I just did 4 or 5 typos in a row last time. ;-)
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

have a look at the list of people who solved this challenge:
http://www.hacker.org/challenge/solvers.php?id=117

you can see that many people solved it in the last few weeks, so it is very unlikely that there was a bug in this challenge.
Chocoholic

Post by Chocoholic »

Right you are. So it's probably my fault, which is the reason for the edit in my last post. Though I still don't know how I could have got it wrong several times in a row. I must have been drunk or something. *g*

Anyways, sorry for diggin up this thread.
gandhi

Post by gandhi »

world is infinite
Iḿ not sure about the gliders.

Do they "travel in space" forever? :(
moose

Post by moose »

This is strange ... I wrote a program, thought of gliders, got a result, checked it with Golly, saw that the population gets "stable" after a while ... and its wrong! Can I PM someone who has solved this already?
bodjo

Post by bodjo »

if the population get stable I think your 'world' is not big enough
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

bodjo wrote:if the population get stable I think your 'world' is not big enough
I'm not sure if that is correct - I think a population can very much become stable on an infinite grid. "Stable" means that the maximum value of living cells can change in a repeating pattern, but it does not grow beyond an upper bound N.
moose

Post by moose »

@bodjo: I'm quite sure my wold is big enough. As you haven't solved it by now, how do you want to estimate that my world isn't big enough?
bodjo

Post by bodjo »

because I have the same problem :roll:
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

Oh my golly, there are really many existing programs out there which can be used for simulation. :)