about substitute teacher

Csiszi

Post by Csiszi »

hy
i cannot solved this, i'm blocked and can somebody help me to solve this challange?
Last edited by Csiszi on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masti6

Post by Masti6 »

I've been trying to solve this one for like 2 hours now, along with some other ones I don't get. I'v tried to Decipher it for a long time, but I've realized that doesn't seem to be the case. I need to substitute aka replace something, but isn't that kind of random? What am I supposed to replace and with what.
Some kind of useful hint please?
By the way, giving the straight answer is forbidden, but showing the staircase to the answer is still allowed.
Thanks in advance.
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

If you can get hold of it, I recommend The Code Book by Simon Singh - it's a great read as well as very informative.
However, if not then simonsingh.net (which is the author's site) is a good starting place.
There is no spoon.
Masti6

Post by Masti6 »

laz0r wrote:If you can get hold of it, I recommend The Code Book by Simon Singh - it's a great read as well as very informative.
However, if not then simonsingh.net (which is the author's site) is a good starting place.
I'll go to the library tomorrow and see if they have a copy. But reading a 400 paged book is still.... Somewhat hard and timely.
As "Substitution Cipher" has many forms, like ROT13 and Ceaser Cipher etc...- (please ask me to remove those if too spoiling).
...- It is hard to think of a correct Substitution Cipher for this one. I've tried Caesar with all the 26 possibilities, and as ROT13 is one of them, ... Whatever I still double-checked. But nothing clear.
If however I were to substitute only some letters, after deciphering or even before it, that might get a little complicated.
rmplpmpl

Post by rmplpmpl »

It's no ceasar (where all letters are changed with the same value) but a substitution, where letters are change in a more random pattern, you need to find ways to recognize patterns here to crack it (for example some letters are more often used than others, this is also true for combinations of letters, in English 'th' is very common. Double letters on the other hand are ony common for certain combinations: ee, nn, ss... but very rare for ii, uu, aa, qq, ww and so on).

Don't be put off, if you need several hours (or days, or even longer) for challenges, you have to learn a lot with these. in the past 12 months I think I have solved just a single challenge, there are several I am working on for ages
gowron

Post by gowron »

Hmmm, I think I got the text substituted to good and sensible English, but my answer doesn't look like an English word, it's not even close to any I have ever read. I am on the wrong track? (Of course my finding is not correct, or I wouldn't bother you here)
rmplpmpl

Post by rmplpmpl »

gowron wrote:Hmmm, I think I got the text substituted to good and sensible English, but my answer doesn't look like an English word, it's not even close to any I have ever read. I am on the wrong track? (Of course my finding is not correct, or I wouldn't bother you here)
If you have the substituted sentence, you should see what is the answer. It is a proper English word, though it is pretty uncommon (never read this, either). If your text makes sense, you are very close, maybe try some brute force for the last letter?
Geisha

Post by Geisha »

ISS NVVK DIP XYWA PIT AVSUY QIAOP PWZEHVNWIEDZ.

(Hint for this sentence: ISS and NVVK ... Consider the words you know with the same letter back-to-back.)

CDT ZVM LOTK HDY AVSMHOVT HV HDOA HYFH,

(Hint for this line: Consider the words you know that begin and end with the same letter? And notice the frequency in which some letters appear in code.)

ZVM COSS QY IQSY HV NYH HDY ITACYW,

(Hint for this line: What letter is commonly used at the begining of both 2 and 3 letter words? Notice how many times "H" is used? Solve for H and lots of code will make sense.)

CPOD OA IKMGQWIHY.

(Hint for this line: Notice "OA" sitting all alone in this line? Where else do you see "OA" in the code?)

:? DVEY HDOA DYSEA :?

Geisha
"We are samurai...." - The Plague, "Hackers"
marko9900

Post by marko9900 »

Hint: Count how many times eatch letter appears. google for letter frequency
Jijel

Post by Jijel »

starting by guessing where "answer" can fit was the right way for me as there is only one place where "answer" can fit.