Hello, i am a bit lost xD

Discussion about hacker.org's server
elseine

Hello, i am a bit lost xD

Post by elseine »

Hello. I am new here and I am very happy to can be a part of this comunity but...i am a bit lost in all of this xD. The first thing that i want to ask is: what is the best OS to start? A lot of people recomend me linux but I want to ask you first.
If anyone could give me some advice, I will pleased with him^^
malachi

Post by malachi »

Pretty much all of the challenges are Windows friendly, so it doesn't matter too much. However, if you'd like to take the plunge into linux, an excellent "starting" distribution is Ubuntu. Give it a try :) With the Wubi package you can even install it as though it were a program in windows, if you don't want to get your hands messy dealing with partitions and all that.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Good luck, and welcome!
If you would be unloved and forgotten, be reasonable.
jeetee

Post by jeetee »

Where Ubuntu is the "bold and obvious" choice for an easy to use distro, I'm currently thinking about trying out Mint to see if it has any added value for beginners.
It might be worth a shot for you as well: http://www.linuxmint.com/

Post by 0042 »

Linux/Unix based systems are generally preferred by Hackers/Programmers because it's an open-sourced OS, meaning you are free to access and alter the basecode to fit your needs. This makes it loads easier to get a more secure system and prevent yourself from getting Hacked/Cracked.

The reason they don't like Windows/Microsoft systems is because it is closed-source, meaning only Microsoft can access it. This is good for their business, but bad for programmers/hackers because it means that if there are holes in the security, you can't do anything about it.

That's the only reason we suggest Ubuntu. It's Linux! :D

Hope that clears it up for you as to why yoiu keep getting the same answers.
~Jennifer
"If you can read this, you must be really bored!"

Girl Hackers!! Because you don't need a penis to be good with computers!!
-----
Name: Jennifer
Number of n00bz used as cannonfodder: "Now serving #2,364,428!"
elseine

Post by elseine »

Thanks for the help. I will try Ubuntu and I'll tell you how it's going.
Thanks!^^
malachi

Post by malachi »

IMHO the reason we don't like Windows is because it's incredibly annoying to try to get anything useful done, and can be downright impossible to get your work done without administrator privileges. If a system has only one user-program on it, it should be a good text editor, and if it has just one more, it should be a compiler. If it had a third, it should be a way of securely accessing/using another computer. The vast majority of windows installs have none of these :(

That and they have the most irritating update-system on the planet.

Win7 is actually pretty awesome... IF you have a new-ish, high-end computer with "standard" hardware, and can afford to shell out $320 for the OS, an additional $500 for a fucking word processor suite and are then willing to risk it all by having to download every piece of software you install from some random website.
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

You can always use OpenOffice rather than MS Office - I find the user experience is almost as good in OpenOffice, and it's free!
There is no spoon.
malachi

Post by malachi »

well... right... better, I would say, unless you particularly love that godawful monstrosity MS replaced the menus/toolbars with. But now we're talking open source again :)

I don't mean to say you can't mix the two (Firefox, anyone?) but rather that most people don't use open-source products for their ability to view/edit the source code. How many kernel hackers do you know? (and well, if you happen to actually be one, the point still stands!)
alternateblackhat

Post by alternateblackhat »

It might be because I was a avid Windows user from Win98 to Windows 7, getting around in it wasn't hard, of-course i always found a way to gain admin privileges with our with out people knowing. The reason i switched from Win systems to Linux, soon enough openbsd is because of two things, I HATE windows 7, they try desperately to feel more like a open-source or apple computer and also the holes in the computers are Terrible, I was tired of the 3 a-day virus scans and the virus scanners when not activated were still bogging down my system.

Honestly if they kept the feel of the NT or XP versions of Win but updated how often they fixed the holes in the system and added some new features, I would have been less inclined to switch. But with there current business plans for a closed-source corporation is getting the new OS out there to make more money, the customers being happy is a second priority because of the lack of backing in linux from big corporations like, Netflix, videogames (while some can be opened up with wine not all can) and editing programs from the list i know, Windows monopolizes the OS world even apple who appeals to the common editor and artist, its only a close second. Unless something changes Windows wont change and it will blow forever and dig itself into a hole, what is probably a good thing, but i digress.

Sorry for the long winded reply