Hello everyone

Discussion about hacker.org's server
CSiD

Hello everyone

Post by CSiD »

I love the registration process here, would be pretty much impossible to make a bot do as far as I'm aware!
I look forward to hanging out with you all.
I have some annoying paperwork to do for uni but after that I am considering either trying to write a bot for one of the games here just to write my first(if its permitted!), or a considering just trying out the challenges e.t.c for a while until I get inspired to program something.
any other suggestions?
[spoiler]
I understand the theory of everything from the process management, memory management up to how shell's are implemented in all OS's.
I also have a standard understanding of how processors work from calculating the address lines to the fetch-execute cycle.
I wont say I know any specific languages, as if I need to research to write a bot then it shows there is no language I fully understand fluent enough yet.
[/spoiler]
jeetee

Post by jeetee »

Welcome,

It always good to see new faces with the right attitude joining the community.
Most of the challenges can be solved in several ways, and if programming is involved you can mostly use the language of your liking (except for hackVM challenges and the like). Do note that some challenges are much simpler in one language than in another one, but often discovering just that is part of the challenge to me.

With regards to writing bots for the games: please do!
All of the games are intended for automation at a given point (for example Runaway Robot stops displaying the levels on screen starting at level 100), however, we won't stop you from trying them by hand :P

Happy Learning!
Geisha

Hello, just an introduction.

Post by Geisha »

Hello, ohiyo gozaimasu, konnichiwa, and all that jazz.
I am a graduate student, 35 years old, and am looking to learn computer programming and "hacking" as a means of exploring, creating, and understanding how programs function and how I can improve and create programs of my own to improve the performance of my computer, create games, puzzles, and so on.

I have a B.A. in History and Social Sciences, a minor in Asian Studies, and am going for my M.S. in Elementary Education and I am also looking to create simple programs to use in a K-6 learning environment to help improve students' math and science skills and improve their logic and reasoning skills. To do that, I need some help learning computer langauage, code, and programming. I think it would be an asset for any prospective teacher in this day and age to know at least some basic programming skills.

I just don't want to go through the process of getting another Bachelor's degree to gain profficiency. I've already invested enough student loans and money to education thus far.

Many thanks, arigato!
~ Geisha
"We are samurai...." - The Plague, "Hackers"