How To Get Linux

Discussion about hacker.org's server
<<D.A.>>

Post by <<D.A.>> »

yeah, it's known... but there was kinda discussion about DSL, and link to the f**** nowhere, so i just gave some english link
fedora

Post by fedora »

Well, for someone learning Linux, I would suggest Debian: it has an awesome package management system, it's small and very scalable, and has one of the largest package repositories. Now, if you want to be crazy, go with compile it your self Gentoo. If you happen to already be crazy, go with LFS, or Linux from Scratch, a system that must me completely compiled, bootstrapped, and configure by hand.

Debian: http://www.debian.org/distrib/
Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
LFS: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

And, in case you are wondering, I'm a Debian user, because it is the middle ground for ease of use and customization .
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

fedora wrote:Well, for someone learning Linux, I would suggest Debian: it has an awesome package management system, it's small and very scalable, and has one of the largest package repositories. Now, if you want to be crazy, go with compile it your self Gentoo. If you happen to already be crazy, go with LFS, or Linux from Scratch, a system that must me completely compiled, bootstrapped, and configure by hand.

Debian: http://www.debian.org/distrib/
Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
LFS: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

And, in case you are wondering, I'm a Debian user, because it is the middle ground for ease of use and customization .
does anyone know elive???
hacker is a life style. its one that alters how you think, you perception of reality, your way of dealing with things in general, as well as things so common as how you talk, how you carry yourself, and even when and how long you sleep.

by Loyal_Dark
boza08

re

Post by boza08 »

anybody who have experience using beryl?isn't cool?
<<D.A.>>

beryl

Post by <<D.A.>> »

yeah, beryl looks great, but it doesn't work that way... I had an experience with beryl on mandriva 2007.1. After using beryl it crashed as well. And, which is more, it's quite hard to install on other distributions.
jack krauser

Re: beryl

Post by jack krauser »

<<D.A.>> wrote:yeah, beryl looks great, but it doesn't work that way... I had an experience with beryl on mandriva 2007.1. After using beryl it crashed as well. And, which is more, it's quite hard to install on other distributions.
you now have beryl on your pc?
hacker is a life style. its one that alters how you think, you perception of reality, your way of dealing with things in general, as well as things so common as how you talk, how you carry yourself, and even when and how long you sleep.

by Loyal_Dark
<<D.A.>>

Post by <<D.A.>> »

nah, had it in mandriva... but i erased it, and installed slackware... now i don't use it, i just don't need it. most of my time i work in a text mode with a command line.
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

<<D.A.>> wrote:nah, had it in mandriva... but i erased it, and installed slackware... now i don't use it, i just don't need it. most of my time i work in a text mode with a command line.
is fedora good? i have never really try them :lol:

by Loyal_Dark
<<D.A.>>

Post by <<D.A.>> »

fedora? i don't know... but it's based on RedHat, so I won't be wondering, if it will crash shortly after installation.
boza08

Post by boza08 »

what about ubuntu?
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

boza08 wrote:what about ubuntu?
yeah i like ubuntu :D they have a very nice desktop :wink:

by Loyal_Dark
<<D.A.>>

Post by <<D.A.>> »

As a matter of fact it's the most popular linux distro now...
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

<<D.A.>> wrote:As a matter of fact it's the most popular linux distro now...
ubuntu is the most popular? i thought fedora or madriva was the most popular :? :?

by Loyal_Dark
<<D.A.>>

Post by <<D.A.>> »

nah... they're one of the most popular... but most of linux users have ubuntu.
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

<<D.A.>> wrote:nah... they're one of the most popular... but most of linux users have ubuntu.
yeah in my school winxp are more popular than linux :evil:

by Loyal_Dark