I'm a bit of a noob, but i really want to learn....

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Pewz

I'm a bit of a noob, but i really want to learn....

Post by Pewz »

I've been trying to learn about "hacking" for awhile now, but i really don't know where to begin. From what I've gathered, there is alot of information to soak up. Does anyone have anywhere they reccomend I start? Learning Operating Systems, or Programming? And which one? Is there any thing written on that I should be reading? Computers fascinate me, and I feel the need to learn as much as I can about everything there is to know. Any response to this would be Awesome
"Do or Do not, there is no Try"
-Yoda (Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
SinistraD

Re: I'm a bit of a noob, but i really want to learn....

Post by SinistraD »

Learn C, C# or Java, Assembly, PHP, SQL and you're already halfway on being a hacker. Operating system... well it depends on what do you want to do? Hacking a web-server is easier under Linux, if you would like to crack (softwares) use Windows, because most of application are implemented under Windows or both platforms.
Liidian

Post by Liidian »

SinistraD wrote:Learn C, C# or Java, Assembly, PHP, SQL and you're already halfway on being a hacker. Operating system... well it depends on what do you want to do? Hacking a web-server is easier under Linux, if you would like to crack (softwares) use Windows, because most of application are implemented under Windows or both platforms.
So, by saying that you belive your a hacker? you know that information? if you do show me.
The whole "system" is a number of people creating a code all together, this code loops and is there for a "system".
System Zero could also be confirmed with one word "Hacker's"
SinistraD

Post by SinistraD »

Liidian wrote:So, by saying that you belive your a hacker? you know that information? if you do show me.
No, but I think I'll be a hacker in the near future. That's because I don't know Assembly yet.
Last edited by SinistraD on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
contagious

Post by contagious »

Where is C++ ? 8)
Pewz

Post by Pewz »

Okay, I Jot a bunch of books on C, and C++, but i'm having trouble locating programs that run C, and C++, as well as C#, But i don't know where to get any programs, (such as C, C++, C#, Assembly, etc...) Anywhere you would reccomend I can get these?Also, where can i get information on Assembly, PHP, and SQL?

-I know I ask for alot, but I really want to learn. Any tips at all would be more than helpful.
"Do or Do not, there is no Try"
-Yoda (Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
SinistraD

Post by SinistraD »

Programs that debug, compile and run programs are called IDEs, Eclipse and Netbeans is your friends, but for C, C++ and C# I recommend you the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (for both C and C++) and the Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, both free, however after a month a free registration is required. If you have MSN it'll be short, if you don't it will be a bit longer. Happy coding.

For PHP, SQL and every other web-programming w3c is a good start, as for Assembly try this one.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Microsoft's Visual Studio products are nice for creating applications, but a lot of it is drag and drop. Ofcourse can do more than that, but I've always been told it's better to learn to code by hand (with a text editor) first and than use GUI tools once you really know whats going on.

So aside from MS products you can download any Linux Distro and it should come with GCC which is an open source C and C++ compiler. You write your code in whatever text editor you like and run it through GCC to get your binary. GCC also offers some error correction features during compilation. And you can run a Linux LiveCD so you wouldn't havee to install the OS to use these features.

Just another option aside from Microsoft. It would certainly be beneficial to learn both.
SinistraD

Post by SinistraD »

My opinion is that I haven't lived up to this age to use methods from previous ages. I hate to code in notepad, not that I haven't tried, I did, and never had good experience. I love the comfort given by an IDE. For example you have to specify everything only once (library linking, additional header directories, arguments and so on), and not on every compilation. That aside you have to press only one key for compilation, and not to switch between windows (text editor and bash console running the compiler) then providing usually two commands, one for compilation and one for running.

And the thing I would never give up to, is the Ctrl+Space in most OOP IDEs. I can't even imagine how to code in C# or Java without that.

I am so much dependent of IDEs that a hate Python for a lack of a good IDE (yh, IDLE sux). I've read somewhere that Eclipse supports it, maybe one day I'll try it. I just wanna say, that I think the "coding in notepad" is getting old, and is a way of masochism. I don't care how lame it sounds, but I won't give up on these, just because it's not cool enough.

Btw, let me guess, you're a programmer for at at least 10 yrs.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Actually I've only started programming in the past year. I have worked with Web dev. and javascripting in the past but aside from that I'm a programming noob. However, even with web design , I personally prefer coding in a text editor because I can work the code the way I see fit and I don;t have to use premade code for my program. Don't get me wrong, GUI IDEs are not bad at all. But personally, and I'm many others would agree, that when you can code from scratch you have a far better advantage than those who only know how to use GUI based tools to drag and drop their code. As you said yourself, you depend on your IDE's so much, you probably wouldn't know what to do if you weren't able to drag and drop code. again IDE's are great and make life much easier for programmers, but without out learning to code form the bottom up, one is limited greatly.

As for it being a way masochism....Do you know what that is? I don't see how one can compare programming in a text editor to gaining sexual pleasure by being beaten up and humiliated.

I would assume also, that you are very dependent on your calculator in math class as well. That the problem with a majority of today's youth. There's so much dependence on the creations of previous generation that the idea of thinking for yourself frightens you.
SinistraD

Post by SinistraD »

First of all I don't really look at web programming as real programming. I don't have much of an experience (for example I don't know shit about AJAX), but I agree, I never used any GUI for PHP, JavaScript nor HTML (well this one is not really a language, is just a way of displaying information). But these are not OOP languages, well they are, but not that much oriented. I admit, if it's about web development, you're right.

I have general programming experience tho, of about 7 years. When I talked about programming sux in notepad, I was talking about C for example. I heard about some guys who are coding C++ in notepad, now that's insane. One of those guys supposed to be one of my professors, thanks God he went abroad to make his doctorate.

Programming in GUI is not about drag and dropping codes. There are other things I really like, for example real time debugging. Your mistakes are corrected when you type, it's much like a simple English language corrector in Mozilla, so you won't need to rerun your program 25 times to find 10 syntax typos. The other thing is the Ctrl+Space, I explain what this is. Suppose you have 1000 syntax command, 10 000 included classes and standard library commands, another 100 personal variables and classes. Who the fuck would remember all of that? Let's assume you made a GUI with 25 buttons, but you was smart and you named them btn_WhatDoesThisButtonDo. So when you wanna check if a button is enabled, you type btn_ and press Ctrl+Space, and a list of those variables starting with btn_ appears. You only need to find what is your button doing. This are just a few of the advantages offered by an IDE, which are making programming a pleasure, and this is not meaning I can't write a program in notepad, it only means, that I would not enjoy it at all. And again I'm not talking about web development here.

About masochism, you should have looked a bit on definition in Wikipedia.
Wikipedia wrote:Sadism refers to gratification in the infliction of pain or humiliation upon another person. Masochism refers to gratification from receiving the same.
. But I truly respect how pervert you are :D (not that you're that special, I don't think you are as pervert as I am).
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Once again, I'm not putting down the use of GUI IDEs. Im simply providing another option to chose from and stating the fact that it is beneficial knowledge wise to learn to code from scratch as opposed to jumping right into using GUI programs. I already said that the GUI IDEs DO make life easier, but it's good to know how to do this stuff without first. Besides how can one make an educated decision about what may be best for them if they don;t know what is available to them. They can't.

Now as for your lovely Wikipedia citation, which by the way is [sarcasm] a great source of valid information[/sarcasm], read it again and then read what I said previously. If you can't see that they say the same thing, then I suggest you return to you vocabulary and English text books and brush up on your understanding of the English Language. As for perversion, I still fail to see where any comparison of what we are talking about and masochism/sadism can be made. Finally, I am quite certain that you are much more perverted than I am.

Now seeing as you clearly can;t wrap your head around what I am saying on the topic of GUI IDEs versus hand coding, I will leave you at this.
SinistraD

Post by SinistraD »

No, I think you're right, this time I have nothing to say against it... except that masochism thing.