How to make the leap to scripting - ?

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Project hash brown

How to make the leap to scripting - ?

Post by Project hash brown »

Hi, I've been looking around your site on occasion for several months now, and i can't help but notice the there is a lot of very difficult challenges, and some very simple challenges. But to make the leap between the two you need to be able to write basic script.

So i set out to learn C, and I hit another road block. Yet again the system requires a beginner to make a jump. There is not stepping-stone to help me begin scripting.

Well I know there are many good Hackers around this site, and it is quite obvious that everyone has to have started somewhere. So how did you all start off? Did any of you learn scripting outside of an educational establishment, and if so would you care to share your hacking roots? I would be willing to learn any language you can help me get my foot in the door of, so there is no need to confine this thread to C.

Thank you, please post any information that you think may be of use to me.
Allosentient

Post by Allosentient »

C isn't really a good thing to use these days since it doesn't get you very much in terms of what you can do with it in a short amount of time. Try one of the newer languages.
Project hash brown

Well i was planning on starting with c and working up, because I imagine that once I know one language the rest will become easier to learn.
WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight »

For me, I start out with HTML (scripting) when I was very young. I move on to DarkBASIC and DarkBASIC Professional and when I grow out of it. I go on to Visual Basic and I hated it so C# work for me. I'm looking for a new language or at least until I get a book for C++. :P I have no book or resources to help me out with Windows part of C++. Yet I can control some aspect of C++ as it is like C#. So far C# have given a lot of controls that is similar to C++ from my point of view. You can control a lot of "raws" components on Windows. So I'm happy with C#, I think you might like it if you learn about it.

That pretty much what I did for over the last 9 years.
Project hash brown

When you were learning c, what sort of resources did you use / consult?

(For example websites, books, tutors, friends e.c.t.)
Project hash brown

Still here...
koolpop0

Post by koolpop0 »

I first learned BATCH - some consider this not a actually language

i then started to see the site

Hackthissite

it helped me get into basic- very basic html

then i started hosting a rs private server hellovagoodscape

i stopped due to annoying noobs and i had a life

that helped me learn java -not useful at all for hacking i know

i am not skilled at programming in any way i know how to program very basic things in a bit of time

i usually stare at the source code till i learn something new about it tinker with it

i cant ******* learn from books when i read i get setup in a whole new world...

maybe you can\
i think i have A.D.D =(

well thats how i learned junk

batch is so easy to learn

c is not used alot but go ahead helps you hack games

java is useless junk

html helps you hack websites