apple
No votes
mac
No votes
linux
40%
microsoft
20%
other/custom made (either by yourself, etc)
40%

Total votes: 10

plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Allosentient wrote:
Yeah it's whatever floats your boat. The biggest appealing thing I see in linux is that I know that my computer is less likely to be spied on with backdoors or things like that. I can pretty much do anything I want with Windows because 1) Windows does have advanced configuration modes for power-users, and 2) There are many ways to hack windows. It is generally easier for me to do such things in Windows than with Linux. Furthermore, most Linux software is easier to emulate on Windows than it is for Windows software to be emulated on Linux.

My favorite IDE is by far Visual Studio (though its not perfect), and I would also lose that if I went to use Linux.

I have said this before though, Linux does have some fun games. I wouldn't mind trying it again, I was pretty turned off when I tried Ubuntu. Maybe I will try Gentoo next time.
I undertsand what you mean....Have you tried working with virtualization? Its pretty simple to get started. And free. You can, for example run Windows as the host OS, and create a linux VM or vice versa. Hell if you wanted to you can create an entire network of VMs. I personally prefer linux host with a windows VM. Just an idea. some distros you might be interested in also may be slackware, or OpenSUSE, or perhaps BT3 or BT4 beta (comes packed with useful tools for pen testing).

Also with a windows VM under a linux host you can install Visual Studio, and other windows only apps on the VM. VMs tend to use less resources also.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

root wrote:
plope0726 wrote:
root wrote:tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom what linux u using? fedora? or own mod? honestly
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
what so funny? i know - fedora is not the linux of the linux, but not shure with other versions. tomtomtomtom opened my eyes on ubuntu and it's holes. so i'm confused with choice of linux distribution =(

P.S. my question is not offtopic, unlike your (most)posts....

2 Allosentient: is Gentoo better than Ubuntu? and why? thank you.
Here's a decent list of distros with write ups on them....

http://www.linux.com/distributions/

also check out

http://distrowatch.com/
Allosentient

Post by Allosentient »

plope0726 wrote:
Allosentient wrote:
Yeah it's whatever floats your boat. The biggest appealing thing I see in linux is that I know that my computer is less likely to be spied on with backdoors or things like that. I can pretty much do anything I want with Windows because 1) Windows does have advanced configuration modes for power-users, and 2) There are many ways to hack windows. It is generally easier for me to do such things in Windows than with Linux. Furthermore, most Linux software is easier to emulate on Windows than it is for Windows software to be emulated on Linux.

My favorite IDE is by far Visual Studio (though its not perfect), and I would also lose that if I went to use Linux.

I have said this before though, Linux does have some fun games. I wouldn't mind trying it again, I was pretty turned off when I tried Ubuntu. Maybe I will try Gentoo next time.
I undertsand what you mean....Have you tried working with virtualization? Its pretty simple to get started. And free. You can, for example run Windows as the host OS, and create a linux VM or vice versa. Hell if you wanted to you can create an entire network of VMs. I personally prefer linux host with a windows VM. Just an idea. some distros you might be interested in also may be slackware, or OpenSUSE, or perhaps BT3 or BT4 beta (comes packed with useful tools for pen testing).

Also with a windows VM under a linux host you can install Visual Studio, and other windows only apps on the VM. VMs tend to use less resources also.
Yes I have used VMWare and Sun VirtualBox, but always on a Windows host. I like it a lot but often have a problem with the concept of running an operating system at non-native speeds & the various compatibility restraints.

I am not too concerned with which distribution to use but rather I want to know what type of advantage I will have by using Linux.

Actually, I can think of one very good advantage. You can get most any tool for free. With windows you often have fewer tools due to costs. I can pay for the really good tools but I am not going to have very many.
tomtomtomtom

umm

Post by tomtomtomtom »

my favorite joke,

root=/dev/sda1 rw init=/bin/bash
root@(none):/# passwd
Enter new Unix password: gay:D
Retype new Unix password: gay:D
passwd: password updated successfully
root@(none):/#_

Am I the only one who laughed :?:
plope0726

Re: umm

Post by plope0726 »

tomtomtomtom wrote:my favorite joke,

root=/dev/sda1 rw init=/bin/bash
root@(none):/# passwd
Enter new Unix password: gay:D
Retype new Unix password: gay:D
passwd: password updated successfully
root@(none):/#_

Am I the only one who laughed :?:

:lol: I'm laughing too! :lol:
Zaffron

Post by Zaffron »

ME three even though I have no idea what that little sequence meant since I use windows...
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Zaffron wrote:ME three even though I have no idea what that little sequence meant since I use windows...
The change of roots password to "gay"
Zaffron

Post by Zaffron »

OH Ok right, I feel stupid <.<
WhiteKnight

Post by WhiteKnight »

Zaffron wrote:OH Ok right, I feel stupid <.<
Nah no worries here.