Didactic XOR Cipher

mcjohn

Didactic XOR Cipher

Post by mcjohn »

Hi,

This challenge doesn't seem hard but I'm not getting the right answer so looking for a push in the right direction. It's the one where you XOR decimal 79 with hex 3d2e212b20226f3c2a2a2b

I converted the hex to binary and broke it up into groups of 8 where I manually XOR'd them with decimal 79 (also converted to binary). Then put all that into ascii at the end but got a 9 character 'word' that made no sense. Help!
Cheers,

John
karma-fusebox

Post by karma-fusebox »

// edit: its late here -_-

just dont get the bases mixed up, it will work

and start scripting.. the following challenges are real fun to do manually
mcjohn

Post by mcjohn »

I've been doing the whole thing by hand; it's driving me nuts that it's not working. Adding the binary of 79 to the binary of the given string and then converting it to ascii is the (or one of) the ways this challenge can be solved, correct?
karma-fusebox

Post by karma-fusebox »

mcjohn wrote:I've been doing the whole thing by hand; it's driving me nuts that it's not working. Adding the binary of 79 to the binary of the given string and then converting it to ascii is the (or one of) the ways this challenge can be solved, correct?
just to be sure: XORing, not adding.. but then yes, you are on the right track. the solution by the way, is human-readable.
mcjohn

Post by mcjohn »

omg.. finally realized that the converter I used to change 3d2e212b20226f3c2a2a2b into binary didn't include all the final digits so it was actually slightly smaller than it was supposed to be.
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

I don't know why, but I got an L instead of an R XD
Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike »

I screwed it up a few times for not reading properly and forgetting to convert to hex :(

Then made it in my head, one cipher at a time. XOR-ing is not that hard.
chown -R us ./base