Hello Everyone!

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Aciid Kidd

Hello Everyone!

Post by Aciid Kidd »

Hey everybody I'm new, but looking forward to learning new more! :D I am currently studying Linux and JavaScript and then I am going to move onto a programming language. I just cant figure out which one I want although python looks like a promising first language to learn.
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

Python definitely is a good language to start with, I myself learned JS then PHP, Python and C++. There's plenty of resources on them and you can work with them on most operating systems.

With Python you would probably be better off using the current 2.6 version (standard on debian systems) and avoid version 3 which has incompatibilities with 2 and most people are familiar with 2 although in the long run it wouldn't hurt to get to know the differences. For this all you need is a Python interpreter (comes packaged with most *nix systems) and a console to run it on (really helps for debugging) so terminal on *nix and cmd.exe on windows.

If you start out with C++ I'd recommend using the GCC compilers (which can come bundled with Code::Blocks, handy for Windows) and getting a nice IDE to make practicing quick, such as Code::Blocks which is cross platform so you don't have to get used to a whole load of IDEs or have to mess around too much with build scripts.

As your learning JS I guess that PHP might be of interest to you, not only is it a fully fledged scripting language so can do the same tricks Python can but its also made for web development, I think its a good choice because it's easy to get results from even as a beginner (whereas in C++ its quite a palaver for the equivalent result), of course you'd benefit from learning HTML too if you choose this.

I'd personally recommend PHP is your next step for the reasons mentioned above