wuts hacker?
S3th

Post by S3th »

The fu-
See through the master
Become the master
S3th

Post by S3th »

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

--
plope0726 wrote: When using the term hacker in this context, the only difference really is the intent behind what a person is doing. Of course to term cracker came about because "ethical" hackers wanted to distance themselves from those who were basically trying to steal from and damage systems. Really though in the end its a persoanl opinion, some call all of the above hackers, some break them up into the sub groups, hacker, cracker, script kiddie... It doesn't matter because in the end, in the eyes of the "law", it's all the same. Usually though when I think of a hacker, I think of a person who is intrigued with discovering how things work and finding ways to use these things to their advantage. Whether it be computers, phones, or whatever. In fact, I believe the first to be called hackers were programmers who were good at "hacking" out code. And "cracking" is a term that can be used for many situations. Cracking password, Cracking copyrights, cracking into networks, and so on....But because everything in our society has to have a label we have these discussion. The general public likely thinks of hackers as anyone who breaks into computer systems, regardless of intent. Then when one steps into the "hacker" world, there are different categories for people who do these things. But I think it all comes down to intent.
See through the master
Become the master
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

what the fu- *computer explodes*

*insert other well-known meme here*

~You are a glitch in my reasoning.
Zaffron

Post by Zaffron »

LOL Speaking of which me and my friend Roger were playing BF2 and his mouse button got stuck down (more my other mouse button because he was using the second computer in my room that for some reason refuses to connect to the internet) and he had C4 out, so it automatically switched to the detonator because he was out of C4. Right when it got stuck I was watching him with my sniper rifle wondering if he was taking after my kamakazi tactics then i hear "What the FUCK" in the most serious tone ever next to me then large boom and i see his corpse fly over my head. It was like...

The funniest thing ever...
w00t