SVG interface

adum

SVG interface

Post by adum »

efe has very nicely made a cool SVG interface to the challenges. it looks a lot like the flash version, but uses JS/SVG. apparently it works on the iPhone too.
megabreit

Post by megabreit »

Great job... the performance is magnitudes better than the flash version... and the scroll bars are where I'd expect them (not as in the flash implementation, where I have to scroll down to catch the horizontal flash scroll bar).

From my point of view the whole thing lacks a bit of contrast. Can you try a bit darker font color? :idea:
And if I had one free wish: It would be great if one could scroll just by left-click and mouse move, just like in google maps.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

megabreit: Grab'n'Drag is nice (especially with a touchscreen), but it doesn't work on this kind of object for some reason. (It doesn't work on the flash version either though, for the same reason I guess...)

It's really large compared to the normal text on the page for me, in Firefox - is that intentional? I guess it's the same size as the flash version, but I've always used the zoom bar on the flash version to zoom out every time I opened it, because my screen is only 800x480. Halving the overall size would make its font size more what I'd expect, anyway, and mean I don't have to scroll right by four screenfuls to see the whole map. :)
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

The scrolling is SO much easier now, good job. =)

However, it would be nice to have a choice between hi/lo res background.
The new jpeg background is three times smaller, and faster to download,
but the png in the old flash version is more beautiful, I think.

http://www.hacker.org/challenge/map/map.png
http://www.hacker.org/challenge/svg/map.jpg
adum

Post by adum »

i'll try to make that an option, good idea.
m!nus

Post by m!nus »

the SVG's simple, but nice, good job!

about the zooming: you can use ctrl -/+ to zoom :)