What can I hack first?

Discussion about hacker.org's server
Lorgon Jortle

What can I hack first?

Post by Lorgon Jortle »

- By the looks of this question, you probably opened this thread thinking that I need to be told to go somewhere else, because we here at hacker.org are not crackers. But I urge you to continue reading this before you post that. Thank you so far.
- I have been interested in computers and computer science since I was very young. I would like to learn as much as I possibly can about computers in general. I seem to have the same thinking as all of you, where I want to know how things work, how to tinker with them, and how to make them better.
- My question is, what do you recommend I learn? I am not asking any of you to teach me everything you know about hacking (as much as I would love that). I am asking where you recommend I go to learn what needs to be learned.
- I am familiar with C++, and am starting Python, as instructed my many people on various Linux forums. What are your ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Lorgon Jortle
In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test. You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. - Shiqin
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

Perhaps discuss on several components what programming is offering and perhaps doing some open source projects will increase your reputation. ;)
The Assistant of the Clan. The White Orders.
Lorgon Jortle

Post by Lorgon Jortle »

Ouch. I doubt I could be of any help, haha. I've only been teaching myself C++. Nothing visual yet. I've mostly just been making text based games with IO file stream for saving and reading map coordinates. I would love to get good enough at either Python of C++ to help with some open source projects(and I plan to stick around, so hopefully my rep will go up a bit ;-)) Which do you suggest I aim my studies towards? C++ or Python?

Thanks for the previous quick reply,

Lorgon Jortle

ps- Am I the only one experiencing a lag in the message editor? I type something and it doesn't show up for a while, or it is mal-formatted until I highlight it... Everything works fine though. :-D
In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test. You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. - Shiqin
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

BerryTheWest wrote:Perhaps discuss on several components what programming is offering and perhaps doing some open source projects will increase your reputation. ;)

mmmm open source. good times :D

~You are a glitch in my reasoning.
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

To do something visual and similar to C++... that will be C# and hopefully you have Windows to start with. If you decide to do C#, I can help you.
Lorgon Jortle

Post by Lorgon Jortle »

How visual is Python? I know in C++ it takes quite a bit of code for a simple window. Also, I wouldn't really mind C#, but I'm kind of trying to stay away from Windowz. I'd like to learn more about either Python or C++. I'm not sure which one is best for hacking though.

Thanks,

Lorgon Jortle
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

Lorgon Jortle wrote:How visual is Python? I know in C++ it takes quite a bit of code for a simple window. Also, I wouldn't really mind C#, but I'm kind of trying to stay away from Windowz. I'd like to learn more about either Python or C++. I'm not sure which one is best for hacking though.

Thanks,

Lorgon Jortle
Well, if you're not doing Windows... C# is multiple platform now...

Mono supported C# on Linux and Mac OS. :)
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

You can get open source software to create GUI just like in Visual Studio. One such program I've seen is called Eclipse. I thinks its mainly for Java but you can get plugins for python, etc.
Lorgon Jortle

Post by Lorgon Jortle »

BerryTheWest wrote:
Lorgon Jortle wrote:How visual is Python? I know in C++ it takes quite a bit of code for a simple window. Also, I wouldn't really mind C#, but I'm kind of trying to stay away from Windowz. I'd like to learn more about either Python or C++. I'm not sure which one is best for hacking though.

Thanks,

Lorgon Jortle
Well, if you're not doing Windows... C# is multiple platform now...

Mono supported C# on Linux and Mac OS. :)
So you really recommend C# I take it, haha. I'll look into that and see if it pleases me more than Python. Thanks!