Layman Programming Open Source Project

Discussion about hacker.org's server

Do you like the Layman Programming Idea?

Yes
67%
No
33%
Suggestion (Comment)
No votes

Total votes: 6

BerryTheWest

Layman Programming Open Source Project

Post by BerryTheWest »

I'm trying to test a theory on making programming possible for every individuals without needing the knowledge of the language except English. I just call this project Layman Programming since I heard some of the few Layman Terms. The program is becoming promising that I got the properties working for Form application. The process of the program will be using event handled functionality that is included with .Net. People will be using it almost the same as Warcraft 3 Editor (My Inspiration.) The trigger idea will be similar to Warcraft 3 Editor since it is in Layman term. Warcraft 3 World Editor

It is still into the planning, so it just recently got started. Did I mention it is open sourced? Yes, I'm registering it to SourceForge and I hope they'll accept me and taken me seriously. The project is possible and even allow external COM library to interoperable with the Layman Programming by using Reflection in .Net.

Layman Programming work by setting up the Form and allow the users to design it. They also can add trigger which controls the functionality of the Form they're using. Once user complete their design or project, it will "pre-compile" the code by trigger and design of the form. Pre-compile in Layman Programming will turn the trigger and design into a C# codes and it will be very clean and small in design. If they wish to compile the program they made, they simply click the Build and Execute which compile the precompiled code and execute the executable program.

What you think guy?

Anyone want to get involve? Or I'm doing this alone?
The Assistant of the Clan. The White Orders.
PaRaDoX

Re: Layman Programming Open Source Project

Post by PaRaDoX »

BerryTheWest wrote:I'm trying to test a theory on making programming possible for every individuals without needing the knowledge of the language except English. I just call this project Layman Programming since I heard some of the few Layman Terms. The program is becoming promising that I got the properties working for Form application. The process of the program will be using event handled functionality that is included with .Net. People will be using it almost the same as Warcraft 3 Editor (My Inspiration.) The trigger idea will be similar to Warcraft 3 Editor since it is in Layman term. Warcraft 3 World Editor

It is still into the planning, so it just recently got started. Did I mention it is open sourced? Yes, I'm registering it to SourceForge and I hope they'll accept me and taken me seriously. The project is possible and even allow external COM library to interoperable with the Layman Programming by using Reflection in .Net.

Layman Programming work by setting up the Form and allow the users to design it. They also can add trigger which controls the functionality of the Form they're using. Once user complete their design or project, it will "pre-compile" the code by trigger and design of the form. Pre-compile in Layman Programming will turn the trigger and design into a C# codes and it will be very clean and small in design. If they wish to compile the program they made, they simply click the Build and Execute which compile the precompiled code and execute the executable program.

What you think guy?

so it would be like a level editor in a game, only for general programming rather than a certain game? this, I like.

~You are a glitch in my reasoning.
BerryTheWest

Re: Layman Programming Open Source Project

Post by BerryTheWest »

PaRaDoX wrote:
BerryTheWest wrote:I'm trying to test a theory on making programming possible for every individuals without needing the knowledge of the language except English. I just call this project Layman Programming since I heard some of the few Layman Terms. The program is becoming promising that I got the properties working for Form application. The process of the program will be using event handled functionality that is included with .Net. People will be using it almost the same as Warcraft 3 Editor (My Inspiration.) The trigger idea will be similar to Warcraft 3 Editor since it is in Layman term. Warcraft 3 World Editor

What you think guy?

so it would be like a level editor in a game, only for general programming rather than a certain game? this, I like.
Yep, I probably even bring XNA(Game Component made by Microsoft) to that Layman Programming project. Managed to get the property working correctly and setting up references layout.

But this program is technically a interpreter of how other people program. When it "compile" it just write the codes for them in C# instead of having them to code it out. And there will be no waste in space unlike Microsoft turning a document to HTML.

But the hard problem is that I have to "pre-write" everything what the component is and what they are for. Also to invent a new model how the information was provided for the components by the user.

One thing I was worrying about is that there is no such thing as C# standard on how you code. For that, I don't know if other people will like my code or going to hate it and flame me.

If you managed to find ANY standard on how to write C# in, please let me know. ;)

I'm going to attempt to do SharpDevelop "standard", you can get the source code of that. I usually use class to class style, but they're doing interface styles. That one will require me to rethink how the code will be structured.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Last edited by plope0726 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

Recently I got links from a friend, and here http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/gemrcsharpcs.pdf

The standard you shown me is very straight on and simplified that one is probably better than the link what my friend shown me.

Thank you for your time! :)
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Last edited by plope0726 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

I recently found a theory for "previewing" the program that is not yet compiled. Simply using the reflection and methods from the library and implant it to the active forms. The exception is difficult part to Layman programming since it have to be handled carefully. Yep I have about 20% planned it out.

What I listed so far...

1) Write the code for you

2) Open Sourced

3) Everything in Layman Terms

4) Allowing you to preview your program without compiling it

5) Allows multiple windows to design with and interact

6) This interface is almost similar to Flash, but far different at the same time
0.Dark.Thought

Post by 0.Dark.Thought »

BerryTheWest wrote:I recently found a theory for "previewing" the program that is not yet compiled. Simply using the reflection and methods from the library and implant it to the active forms. The exception is difficult part to Layman programming since it have to be handled carefully. Yep I have about 20% planned it out.

What I listed so far...

1) Write the code for you

2) Open Sourced

3) Everything in Layman Terms

4) Allowing you to preview your program without compiling it

5) Allows multiple windows to design with and interact

6) This interface is almost similar to Flash, but far different at the same time
HMMM..... Very Interesting. Sounds like an Extremely helpful concept. It would definitely help many clients that need a quick program/project. HMMM....... I would love to help but this sounds to be about as big of a project as a mini OS. I'm still too much of a noob. lol.
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
Ace101

Post by Ace101 »

Correct me if I'm wrong. But you're trying to make an interface type of coding languge which would respond to such commands like open this file(Filename, etc) to make life easier for people or to just generally make your computer have some cool and unique features.

Either way, this sounds like a nice idea for a project.
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

Ace101 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. But you're trying to make an interface type of coding languge which would respond to such commands like open this file(Filename, etc) to make life easier for people or to just generally make your computer have some cool and unique features.

the way i understand it, he's thinking of something like this:

imagine a level editor in a video game. ya click the button that corresponds to your chosen feature, you place it on the map. now imagine that, but instead of creating maps it creates programs, without having to type a line of code.

Ace101

Post by Ace101 »

PaRaDoX wrote:
Ace101 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. But you're trying to make an interface type of coding languge which would respond to such commands like open this file(Filename, etc) to make life easier for people or to just generally make your computer have some cool and unique features.

imagine a level editor in a video game. ya click the button that corresponds to your chosen feature, you place it on the map. now imagine that, but instead of creating maps it creates programs, without having to type a line of code.
Any standard game engine does that.
BerryTheWest

Post by BerryTheWest »

PaRaDoX wrote:

Paradox got the right idea. :)
S3th

Post by S3th »

So basically it's a program maker, thats like WYSIWYG?
See through the master
Become the master
PaRaDoX

Post by PaRaDoX »

Ace101 wrote:
PaRaDoX wrote:

yes, but its not for a standard game. its for your whole OS. so its just like the editor, but for your programming. you're building the program, not the map/character/etc.

Ace101

Post by Ace101 »

PaRaDoX wrote:
Ace101 wrote:
PaRaDoX wrote: the way i understand it, he's thinking of something like this:

yes, but its not for a standard game. its for your whole OS. so its just like the editor, but for your programming. you're building the program, not the map/character/etc.
If that's the case then please don't confuse the conversation by making useless metaphors, thanks...