Awesome Internets Vid

tog

Awesome Internets Vid

Post by tog »

It would have been nice if the numbers evenly matched some fixed number of frames. I know how many numbers are supposed to be in there. Unfortunately, they don't seem to match the frames. So after a while, things get screwed up. Is there any hint about how the frames should be grouped for each number?
MerickOWA

Post by MerickOWA »

Yea, I did some hand decoding of the data to see what i was dealing with. Once you get into the meat of the data however, knowing if you're off is going to be tricky.
adum

Post by adum »

there is a slight randomness to number of frames per digit. i think you'll be okay, because most of the time a digit isn't repeated more than a couple times, so it's pretty obvious how many there are. as you've probably noticed, you don't need to get everything exactly right to solve this.
tog

Post by tog »

adum wrote:there is a slight randomness to number of frames per digit.
That explains a lot. I almost thought I missed something. Thanks for pointing this out!
adum wrote:i think you'll be okay, because most of the time a digit isn't repeated more than a couple times, so it's pretty obvious how many there are. as you've probably noticed, you don't need to get everything exactly right to solve this.
Yeah, thats very kind of you :lol:. Nevertheless, the randomness messes up my data too much at the moment. Seems like I'll need some adaptive segmentation.
adum

Post by adum »

at first i had encoded a PNG, but then i realized that was just way too sadistic =)
cyberwoozle

Post by cyberwoozle »

Is it possible, that the challenge is broken? I get the following message:
Not Found

The requested URL /challenge/misc/numbers.mp4 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Or is this part of the challenge?
homeas

Post by homeas »

First I separated the MP4 with avisynth into about 360 000 single jpgs -- that took a while. But I was quite astonished to see how badly Windows 2008 is performing if you have 100 000 or more files in one directory -- so never do it. With 50 000 files per directory everything is fine, maybe the limit is 65536 ...

And yes -- it took another while to analyze the jpgs and to find the keyword -- maybe just watching the video and writing down the numbers would have been much faster than writing software for this job -- bust that's lame ...
moose

Post by moose »

So, all you have to do is writing those numbers down? Is that the solution?
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

moose wrote:So, all you have to do is writing those numbers down? Is that the solution?
Well, it's a huuuge file. Plus there is the transition between one number and the next, and last but not least even if you had single frames already you would still have to "decode" the pattern of circles into a digit for each frame (which is trivial for the human eye - less so for a computer).
And then you need to throw way some of your decoded digits (because they appear on more than one frame each), but not too many.

But if it's so easy, just reuse your Python code from the Yoga challenge and write down the solution in 5 minutes ;)
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

This challenge seems to be broken right now:
The requested URL /challenge/misc/numbers.mp4 was not found on this server.