Slim Image

Post by michuber »

Hi,
I've tried all possible dimensions and bits/pixel, but all I can see is
a circle with scrambled characters.

Any hints?
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

It sounds like you're assuming that the file is corrupted? That's not what the challenge description says.
megabreit

Post by megabreit »

Do I understand you right? There is no corruption in the file, like in "Broken Image"?
I thought that I found (at least) one... looks like I have to dig a bit deeper into the BMP format spec.
michuber

Post by michuber »

megabreit wrote:looks like I have to dig a bit deeper into the BMP format spec.
Maybe you have to extend the spec...
nighthalk

Post by nighthalk »

its technically not broken, just no program is writen to process it because the image software programers were lazy and only did specific cases ^_^
portal

Post by portal »

only one little question...
if I am able to open the picture, I should be able to read the word inside, or I am supposed to still do any transformation in it before being able to read something?
thanks
megabreit

Post by megabreit »

I guess it's already hard enough to open the picture. There is no additional transformation to do. So if your display shows just garbage, you didn't open it the right way :lol:
portal

Post by portal »

thank you. very helpful!
DaymItzJack

Post by DaymItzJack »

nighthalk wrote:its technically not broken, just no program is writen to process it because the image software programers were lazy and only did specific cases ^_^
Probably because this image is in a stupid format. ;p
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

I also am at the level "concentric circle with scrambled characters", i tried to adjust the colormap but no way to find a solution :-(

EDIT: as hint: play with endianness, with some luck it should be possible to extract the solution word without using the colormap.
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

I'm actually a bit surprised that less than 100 people have solved this one in over four(!) years.

This is a pretty straightforward challenge, after all. Nothing you can solve in a minute, but really not as freakin' obscure as some others are. ;)
Hckr

Post by Hckr »

Im pretty sure to open the image according to the extended spec. But still i can see no word :?