harmonic

sebbo

Post by sebbo »

if i tell you the name of the method to use, i would tell you to much. :(

giving good hints is hard! ;)
Allosentient

Post by Allosentient »

I think there are more than enough hints here to finish this challenge easily (Someone said it was 7 or 8 notes, just find them, it is straight forward), but if you think you are close and are truly stuck, PM me with what you have done so far and I will try to point you in the right direction without givng away too much
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

m!nus wrote:i tried searching tools to analyze it but since i don't know how "sound" works (mean: frequencies, addition of tones (chords) etc.) it's rather difficult.
Maybe you should instead search for how sound works then! There must be volumes of information about this available.
m!nus

Post by m!nus »

gfoot wrote:
m!nus wrote:i tried searching tools to analyze it but since i don't know how "sound" works (mean: frequencies, addition of tones (chords) etc.) it's rather difficult.
Maybe you should instead search for how sound works then! There must be volumes of information about this available.
There's just one problem: the lazyness-factor :P
I will look at it when I'm feeling like it.
Andr3w

Post by Andr3w »

I found a chord ...

enough notes and so on ...

but
a they dont make any sense
b di I have to bring them in the right order ?
MerickOWA

Post by MerickOWA »

yes the answer are the notes from lowest to highest.

If the answer doesn't make any sense you're probably missing notes. This challenge really almost requires a way of accurately determining the notes. I doubt a human ear could distinguish all of them and not accidentally hear a harmonic where none really existed, but I suppose its possible.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

It's hard enough to screen out the harmonics anyway, after analyzing it numerically, as there are such a range of base pitches in there in the first place.
sebbo

Post by sebbo »

gfoot wrote:It's hard enough to screen out the harmonics anyway, after analyzing it numerically, as there are such a range of base pitches in there in the first place.
yep 8)
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

I had to resort to (almost) pure guessing… audacity provides a nice little spectrum analizer that even gives you the musical notes of the peaks if you toy around with it for a bit (a lograrithmic x axis works wonders), but I have no clue where to find the second letter in the answer in the three-digit Hz range… It just isn't there.
rmplpmpl

Post by rmplpmpl »

wrtlprnft wrote:I had to resort to (almost) pure guessing… audacity provides a nice little spectrum analizer that even gives you the musical notes of the peaks if you toy around with it for a bit (a lograrithmic x axis works wonders), but I have no clue where to find the second letter in the answer in the three-digit Hz range… It just isn't there.
Thanks, that was the last hint I needed for solving this challenge. I used Audacity, too, but found it pretty hard to find the correct peaks and settings. I was pretty sure about some letters and tried-and-errored a lot - way beyond server pounding.
Force4

Post by Force4 »

I'm so much a noob that I'm not even able to find the right answer by attacking this challenge by dictionary!

I tried every 7 and 8-letter words with letters in [a-g], but no match (no even 'defaced' =P)
Guess I'm gonna have to get myself into frequencies and stuff... :(
liuking

Is there any more hint

Post by liuking »

I knew quite a little about music
and i got only 8 notes
Seem like DEFACED OR Something....
But I just wondering if anyone can give any more hint to me...
THX!
Maybe PM
KeepMovingForward
liuking

Is there any more hint

Post by liuking »

I knew quite a little about music
and i got only 8 notes
Seem like DEFACED OR Something....
But I just wondering if anyone can give any more hint to me...
THX!
Maybe PM
KeepMovingForward
JayArr

Post by JayArr »

this was pretty hard. i was worried when audacity crashed in a few settings but turns out i didn't need them ;)
hughr2005

Help, Please!

Post by hughr2005 »

Is there a Bb/H thing in it? I've analysed the frequencies in Audacity, played the chord on my piano, guitar, everything I could think of. Asked my music teacher who works with orchestras in his spare time. I cannot think of anything else, is there something I'm missing? A particular setting in Audacity frequency analyzer that would work well? I even looked for anagrams with up to four instances of each note, is that not enough? I thought I was a good musician before I ran into this... :cry: