New User.

Discussion about hacker.org's server
XamdMaster

New User.

Post by XamdMaster »

Hi, I am new to programming, and i would like to know where to start off. I already completed the "Hello World!" program many times and in different ways. :?

I want to learn in VB (atm) because its user friendly interface, and easy to build GUI's.
Well I'm looking for a tutor anyone willing to help? :oops:

p.s. is this website dead :?:
Can you control your hiruko?
0.Dark.Thought

Re: New User.

Post by 0.Dark.Thought »

XamdMaster wrote:Hi, I am new to programming, and i would like to know where to start off. I already completed the "Hello World!" program many times and in different ways. :?

I want to learn in VB (atm) because its user friendly interface, and easy to build GUI's.
Well I'm looking for a tutor anyone willing to help? :oops:

p.s. is this website dead :?:
Dead? Not yet but very soon.
There are alot of people being dumbass wannabe crackers and most of the real hackers are fed up. I'm also a noob so I cant' help you, if anything you probably could help me.
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
XamdMaster

Post by XamdMaster »

I see, well I hope I can help bring this site back to life. Hmm, I'm sure you(0.Dark.Thought) know more stuff than me.

If anyone wants to know my problem with programming, here it is.
My problems are:

•The "Hello World!" program doesn't teach anything.
•When I want to make my own program
I don't know what functions, classes, headers, etc. to use.
•When I start making my program I'm not totally sure of what I want to make.

Well the list goes on, but I cant think of all the reasons right now.

If you have a project you're working on and you don't mind a newb slowing you down a little please PM me the details about the project, and if you want me to help work on it with you.

Also PM me if you can just be my Mentor.

Thank you in advance.
0.Dark.Thought

Post by 0.Dark.Thought »

XamdMaster wrote:I see, well I hope I can help bring this site back to life. Hmm, I'm sure you(0.Dark.Thought) know more stuff than me.

If anyone wants to know my problem with programming, here it is.
My problems are:

•The "Hello World!" program doesn't teach anything.
•When I want to make my own program
I don't know what functions, classes, headers, etc. to use.
•When I start making my program I'm not totally sure of what I want to make.

Well the list goes on, but I cant think of all the reasons right now.

If you have a project you're working on and you don't mind a newb slowing you down a little please PM me the details about the project, and if you want me to help work on it with you.

Also PM me if you can just be my Mentor.

Thank you in advance.
Ha. Well I haven't even touched programming more than a few times, I'm more interseted in my XHTML projects (I'm writing a website for a school project) so that's my forte right now. :lol:
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
ThortonB

Post by ThortonB »

It would seem I've progressed a bit farther than either of you, if not by much. Just learning a language to learn is hard to do, at least it has been for me. I've found I've learned more whilst having a project in mind, that is a goal. For example, I started out learning Adobe Flash Action Script 3. My school has it, so I learned it as part of one of the classes. My goal was to make a space invaders type game. While making it, I would make what I could, and then when I didn't know how to do something, I looked up that specific problem, and keep going until I needed to look something up. Seeing as Adobe Flash CS3 costs a lot of money, to continue my learning at home I decided to learn Python. ( http://www.python.org/ ). After some research it seemed that a lot of people thought that Python was a better language to learn on than Java or C or C#. Plus, it's free. I found a tutorial to go along with Python (http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/) which I'm doing right now.

All in all, I've found the main thing is to have projects along the way. For example to keep my interest in Python ongoing tried to make a program in Python to solve one of the Challenges this site has to offer.

In any case, best of luck,

Thorton
PaRaDoX1

Post by PaRaDoX1 »

yea, sorta the same thing here. i find that once a learn a little bit of a language, i make a simple program to see what i can do with it. then, learn a bit more, and build on that program. by the time you've learned a good chunk of the language, you will likely have a complex and useful program on your hands, in addition to learning the language well. it feels great.
bekarazu tazuneru.
XamdMaster

Post by XamdMaster »

ThortonB wrote:It would seem I've progressed a bit farther than either of you, if not by much. Just learning a language to learn is hard to do, at least it has been for me. I've found I've learned more whilst having a project in mind, that is a goal. For example, I started out learning Adobe Flash Action Script 3. My school has it, so I learned it as part of one of the classes. My goal was to make a space invaders type game. While making it, I would make what I could, and then when I didn't know how to do something, I looked up that specific problem, and keep going until I needed to look something up. Seeing as Adobe Flash CS3 costs a lot of money, to continue my learning at home I decided to learn Python. ( http://www.python.org/ ). After some research it seemed that a lot of people thought that Python was a better language to learn on than Java or C or C#. Plus, it's free. I found a tutorial to go along with Python (http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/) which I'm doing right now.

All in all, I've found the main thing is to have projects along the way. For example to keep my interest in Python ongoing tried to make a program in Python to solve one of the Challenges this site has to offer.

Thorton

Thank you. I currently Installed Python and it was very helpful. Python feels easy yet powerful. I will continue to to work with it and let you know about my advances.
PaRaDoX1

Post by PaRaDoX1 »

XamdMaster wrote:
ThortonB wrote:It would seem I've progressed a bit farther than either of you, if not by much. Just learning a language to learn is hard to do, at least it has been for me. I've found I've learned more whilst having a project in mind, that is a goal. For example, I started out learning Adobe Flash Action Script 3. My school has it, so I learned it as part of one of the classes. My goal was to make a space invaders type game. While making it, I would make what I could, and then when I didn't know how to do something, I looked up that specific problem, and keep going until I needed to look something up. Seeing as Adobe Flash CS3 costs a lot of money, to continue my learning at home I decided to learn Python. ( http://www.python.org/ ). After some research it seemed that a lot of people thought that Python was a better language to learn on than Java or C or C#. Plus, it's free. I found a tutorial to go along with Python (http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/) which I'm doing right now.

Thorton

Thank you. I currently Installed Python and it was very helpful. Python feels easy yet powerful. I will continue to to work with it and let you know about my advances.
its not that amazingly powerful, but it IS fun to mess with. keep at it ;)
bekarazu tazuneru.
ThortonB

Post by ThortonB »

Another programming language you might want to take a look at is Ruby. There was a separate question on programing on a different part of the site you might want to take a look at:
http://www.hacker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1007

No one language can do everything, hence the plethora of options. Python seems to me that it works well. It's a scripting language, what ever that means, but if I recall right, Google uses it, and that's good enough for me.

In the words of Tony Stark: "They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only need to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."

Hehe, just threw that in because Tony Stark is awesome.