Resources to help with challenges?

bsguedes

Post by bsguedes »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:
bsguedes wrote: Well, what can I say... Spiral Bits is totally worth doing (see here http://tron.yamagi.org/zeug/map.svg) because there are at least 30 challenges coming from there and they are worth so many juicy points :)

It is a coding challenge and it is very clear what to do... I think that it is fair that this kind of challenge is assigned to a castle... having an obscure crypto challenge blocking your way would be very frustrating!
Sure. It just doesn't make much sense that a difficult challenge is blocking off the access to easier ones.
Heheh... of course, difficulty is a bit relative... but to be honest all challenges past that point are at the same level or harder than Spiral Bits!
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

bsguedes wrote: Heheh... of course, difficulty is a bit relative... but to be honest all challenges past that point are at the same level or harder than Spiral Bits!
I don't think so. For example, Lenna's History is much easier than Spiral Bits.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote:
bsguedes wrote: Heheh... of course, difficulty is a bit relative... but to be honest all challenges past that point are at the same level or harder than Spiral Bits!
I don't think so. For example, Lenna's History is much easier than Spiral Bits.
I disagree.

Everything is clear in Spiral bits, it's just matter of work optimization.
On the other side Lenna's History requires an inspiration.

I would say No Full ACK in HEX is much easier than Spiral Bits as there is even no need for optimization.
(But some people disagree with me as they don't like "simple" symbolic computation.)
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post by AMindForeverVoyaging »

Hippo wrote:Everything is clear in Spiral bits, it's just matter of work optimization.
On the other side Lenna's History requires an inspiration.
Which the challenge's name very readily supplies.
Hippo wrote:I would say No Full ACK in HEX is much easier than Spiral Bits as there is even no need for optimization. (But some people disagree with me as they don't like "simple" symbolic computation.)
I think we can agree that different people find different challenges difficult. One might therefore state that every challenge should be open to anyone ;-)

Perhaps the unlocking mechanism could be different. Like, for every challenge that you solve you get points, and new challenges unlock when you reach a certain amount of points. But it doesn't matter then with which challenges you scored these points.

This way, different people could arrive on the same challenge through different paths. It is partially like that already, but not enough so in my opinion.
bsguedes

Post by bsguedes »

I prefer the challenge system the way it is right now, those cities are like 'boss-challenges', and you have multiple paths leading to them. None of these boss challenges is some obscure-crypto challenge that few people solve, they're usually coding challenges where the task you have to do is pretty clear from the very beginning.

EDIT: wow I almost repeated what I have said last year on this same thread...
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

AMindForeverVoyaging wrote: I think we can agree that different people find different challenges difficult.
Yes, for example me ... I am really weak in finding hidden information ... in images, sounds ...