Enigma

Discussion of challenges you have already solved
bsguedes

Enigma

Post by bsguedes »

Nice challenge!

It's great to finally find classic crypto challenges like this one using Enigma machine and the other one using RSA ciphering (even if the challenge doesn't work :P). Challenges after Spiral Bits are much more interesting!

Is there a part 2 for this challenge?
I ask myself how difficult it would be if it have more rotors (ergo, a longer key), or if the plugs were unknown.
Rat62

Post by Rat62 »

Fortunately the "Ringstellung" (which determins the turnover position) was left unchanged. So it was possible to brute force those abt 1000000 possibilities with probable words.

Nice challenge!
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Phantastic challenge, i had an own prototype in Freepascal to do brute force with index of coincidence to check the output for validity. The prototype also can break Naval Enigmas (with known plugboard), though I am not sure how long it would take to get it done.

The answer I get is a bit mangled in the beginning:
JUJLHYPUKAQGJRMYMALLENGEISABITLONGERTHANNORMALTOTAKETHEFULLADVANTAGEOFTHETHIRDGEARBYTHEWAYTHEANSWERIS*********** ioc:1.45559845559845

Was that intention or my Enigma machine needs some tuning?
Rat62

Post by Rat62 »

Same here. Perhaps to make it less easy. Regarding the Ringstellung: It doesn't really matter. We didn't know the Walzenstellung (the initial three letter code) anyway.
Seter

Post by Seter »

I used "OUT" as the initial state and got an all-meaningful output. But I've noticed that the second rotor rotated both meeting the 16th and 17th letter(O and Z). Is this behavior a bug or well defined?
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Seter wrote:I used "OUT" as the initial state and got an all-meaningful output. But I've noticed that the second rotor rotated both meeting the 16th and 17th letter(O and Z). Is this behavior a bug or well defined?
It's well defined ;)