The ancient rivalry I shall awaken

Discussion about hacker.org's server
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

considering how they have a closed system where you have to buy one of their machines with their OS pre-installed (I think you can upgrade an old machines OS, don't know the limits) it should just work. I think Mac software is limited to Objective-C and they are meant to be rather uptight about everything when it comes to what you can and can't when it comes to software which should be a good thing for the users.

Most of the people I know with Macs are doing art degrees or think of themselves as rather trendy, I don't know anyone serious about computing who normally uses a Mac, that said Dijkstra was supposed to have a Mac but that was because he was using pen, paper & acetate until the last few years of his life where his colleagues got him a Mac to try bring him up to date. Aside from the lack being able to put it on any hardware I don't like how they cost a fortune too, given that you can get just about all of the software on windows I don't think I will ever get a Mac unless I got it to make iApps on which seems unlikely.
yeni_ceri

Post by yeni_ceri »

Codex yes I agree with you... In a profile on some site I wrote something like: "Do you know those people who say: "I am smart I use a Mac!", well I'm even smarter because I use Linux".

Codex btw want the scare of your life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCc_liOwVFY

Hack some famous site and put this playing over and over and you will turn in a media hacker :P .

Notice the fact that those err "guys" are using Apple products... Seems to me that the message is very clear... Use Mac and you will be just like me :P .
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

I like how they are using iPads in that video but I think I prefer this video. I would rather that I weren't a hacker of the public media as that would mean trouble would be coming my way, the people who are best at things like that are unknown and only their work is identifiable, not themself, an example I think of is Banksy who's work (graffiti) most people know and like but if his identity were to be known then he would be probably be landed in some hot legal water for his work.
yeni_ceri

Post by yeni_ceri »

I do not find it so much choking :D ...

But congratulations CodeX I am an otaku, tomorrow there will be trolls all over your mail spamming you death letters...
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

:3
laz0r

Post by laz0r »

I normally use a Mac and I'm not arty at all :P
Having said that, most of my programming nowadays is in Mathematica which is platform-independant. Well worth the £96 :) though I'm not sure the Mac was worth the price MacBooks are - for some reason, it's quite badly designed (power adapter fits in a perfect position to have the cord lopped off when you close the screen, cracks along the hinges, base is peeling off...).
You aren't limited to Objective-C; it's a pig of a language in my experience. You can use the frameworks in C just as well.
There is no spoon.
yeni_ceri

Post by yeni_ceri »

Btw this article is so dark that while I read it I thought it was real LOL http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12 ... .2147.html .
GeorgeTI

Just more than a bit off topic...

Post by GeorgeTI »

...but... pffff.....buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes breath*
freaking hilarious man, really, please do make it a new thread, I bet it will stay #1 for a loooooong while! :P
Haven't had such a laugh for a while... thumbs up for this! Oh evil, evil Linux!!! XD XD XD

P.S. include this too: http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.3. ... 61646.html
And has anyone noted that instead of Linux he says Lunix? and not at that article only...
George T. I.
yeni_ceri

Post by yeni_ceri »

Not linux, lunix... Please say the name right...
baha'a

Post by baha'a »

It's true I almost use nothing but linux(and I love it), but to support Codex's point of view, this is an article that I've read and liked very much :) :
link
--
GeorgeTI

Post by GeorgeTI »

Well, thank you for the article, quite informative. Indeed Linux won't conquer desktops anytime soon, and that's (in my feeble opinion at least) because of popular programs that are strictly commercial and high budget: games, that is. Unless anyone is interested to make the difference, in which case we can start assembling a team here...
*looks around* Anyone interested in developing a commercial-class game for the open source community?
George T. I.
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

I think things like Angry Birds, Shave Me! and Missile Command count as commercial games, and not just things like Dead Island or Deus Ex, I also think the engine for Half-Life 2 is available (Source Engine), although probably not suited to OpenGL or *nix and not too sure about licence business.

A lot of *nix computers tend to have pretty limited graphical performance either because of the hardware (which costs a fair deal on a system that a lot of people like for being free and works on bare bone systems) or because drivers don't exist because the vendors focus on the platforms they will actually sell to (i.e. Windows), so it seems like aiming to make great looking games for *nix isn't a massively appealing idea to people who want anyone to play their game. Might have to put the games on *nix dream on ice for the foreseeable future :P Now I'm off to play Dead Island instead of Cycles3D
yeni_ceri

Post by yeni_ceri »

Listen I don't know much but I want to learn something. Why exactly windows is able to perform better games than linux under the same hardware? What someone would need to develop in order to the two systems equal on that point?
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

I don't think DirectX 10 or 11 (the graphics engine on Windows) are available at all on Linux or even Mac which is what the majority of games are written for as opposed to OpenGL or the like which I assume has both poorer performance on new hardware than the equivalent DirectX (because of proper driver support available on windows and the fact people are paid a lot to keep DirectX pushing limits) but also provides a less comprehensive set of effects.

To preform equally there would have to be full DirectX support (including graphics card interoperability, using drivers), then modern games could be run on Linux using something like Wine. I don't know the details on how Wine is implemented but I'm guessing that it's a layer and so would serve to reduce the performance a bit. I guess it's never going to happen.

I think the most crucial point is the graphics drivers, if those were all sorted then things like OpenGL could exploit them on Linux and provide similar functions and effects to DirectX allowing people to develop for *nix. Don't forget it takes a lot of man hours to make a game (over 100 years worth for an individual) and to get things done quickly and properly you will most likely have to pay people, especially for large developments and where is that money going to come from? If the game is free it could at best come from in game/web adverts but that's not going to pay many people. If people have to pay for the game its unlikely to be brought (or so I assume) by the *nix community, and why risk it when you have a significantly larger target market using Windows. yada yada yada. It all seems rather unlikely to me
GeorgeTI

Post by GeorgeTI »

Well, quite right indeed. The obstacles are quite big, fiscal and technical ones. I just told an idea, but frankly I didn't think it was realistic myself :P . Anyway, point is that Linux won't develop any big time budget games anytime soon. Hell, it seems that Gates left a pretty strong lifeline for Microsoft... Unless Mac cuts it :)
George T. I.