How to Access a Remote Computer

Discussion about hacker.org's server
oranortarlom

How to Access a Remote Computer

Post by oranortarlom »

I need to access some files in a computer which is about 50metres from where I can take my Laptop.
Is it possible? If yes, how can I do it? I would be thankful for your help.
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

given the 50 meter distance, you could get a USB stick and wait for the computer to be vacant then get the USB stick out, run over, pick up the computer and then proceed to run away, if you get chased throw the USB stick at the assailant. There are a few equally simple methods at your disposal, there could be more elaborate and complex ones but the one I mentioned is pretty simple.
oranortarlom

Can't do that.

Post by oranortarlom »

The problem is I can't get in that room. Too many people around all the time. Is there an alternative way?
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

I assume it's a static PC, anyway if you don't know or can't think of how to get the data wirelessley then it's fair to assume it's a bit beyond you to try. You're better off raiding the place at night or convincing people who are at it to get/give you the files but what you want to do is probably illegal, is it worth it?
malachi

Post by malachi »

I assume from your 50m comment that you're thinking of stealing the data wirelessly. In a word, that's not going to work.

Far more straightforward is
(1) learn to pick a lock (it's really not hard, a good pick will cost you $40)
(2) go at night
(3) ???
(4) profit!
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

$16.84 can get you a lockpick gun which with a bit of practice will get you though yale locks quite quickly, you could also get a classic lock pick set for $5.71 which works just fine but apparently takes a bit longer to learn and do, not that I have had any success with either yet on my front door :P
NoahDE

Post by NoahDE »

Hackers aren't criminals, not really. In my experience, crimes have a way of turning back up when you least want them to (And i am assuming it is illeagal from your wording). If you think you can get past the guilt (and there will be guilt) and you think you can get away with it then do it. reaserch, find out when there isn't anybody else in the room, expirament with networking think outside the norm (and outside the abnormal as well) and you will always prevail. :idea:
Come at me! Or is your own cowerdice to great a foe!?
Geisha

Post by Geisha »

Maybe because I am fascinated (or bored) I'd like to ask some questions about this little dillemma you have.

1) Why can't you bring your laptop within 50 meters of the computer you want to poke at?

2) Would the data you are trying to get at be in a shared folder you could get at through a shared wireless network? If not, would you know where to find this data? Would you have time to look for it without someone watching you crouch around with your laptop with an incriminating smirk on the face? Are you sure there is no other means of getting the information you want? Have you tried Google, a public library, or as last resort, Wikipedia?

3) Even if hypothetically you are on a shared network with this target computer, and let's entertain the idea that you know the data is in a shared folder or in some similar non-password protected shared network folder you could normally gain access to, is file sharing not enabled between the two computers? Do you know the target computer's login and password? If not, do you know how to get them?

4) Are you trying to get on that target's network but are unable to because of the 50 meter distance?

5) There are websites and services that allow you to accessa computer remotely--provided you know the login and password and computer's IP address. The idea though is that the service would basically allow you to access your oqwn computer from another computer.
"We are samurai...." - The Plague, "Hackers"