Last man standing needs help

Discussion about hacker.org's server
shrink

Last man standing needs help

Post by shrink »

For a couple of years I've been admin on a phpbb 3.x forum which for the last 6 or so months has been overrun by spam bots. Currently about 150+ messages per day are posted from newly set up accounts with tons of links and/or (explicit) pictures. Problem is: the admin has been AWOL for even longer than that and I'm only a member of the group of global moderators so all I can do is manually delete the spam which is a PITA, as you can imagine.

I've mailed both admin and domain owner repeatedly but apparently they couldn't care less so what can I do? I was hoping that some of you guys would be able to hack into the forum and make me admin. Seriously.

I've never been admin on such a board so I don't know if the privileges obtained without having write access to the forum's server directory is enough to do what I'm planning:

- update the captcha routine so the bots fail (other current phpbb boards seem to have less trouble)
- set the whole forum to moderated so I only need to approve valid postings and ignore the rest
- change waiting time between posting so less spam gets through per day

I've had a hacker friend of mine (I'm pretty clueless) test some exploits he found on the net but apparently they apply to other versions of the board software so I'm currently stumped. I'd really appreciate it if someone here accepted the challenge to hack the board, in case you do please pm me here so I can fill you in on the details.

If not, I just gotta resign there and devil may care. Thanks.
plope0726

Post by plope0726 »

Sorry to say but have you see the crap here? We can't even get the admin here to do anything about the stupid "free cvv" spam. I would say that if the admin doesn't care than why should you?
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

I used to be the admin of my own PHPBB2 forum, I solved the problem by letting the hosting and URL rental expire :P
shrink

Post by shrink »

plope0726 wrote:We can't even get the admin here to do anything about the stupid "free cvv" spam.
Right, but maybe some of the users here is interested in a little challenge anyway.
plope0726 wrote:I would say that if the admin doesn't care than why should you?
Because I like the software the forum is about and it has been a valuable resource for all these years. Oh well...
umeir

Post by umeir »

keep in touch......

meet me on www.planetsourcecode.com @ 2.00AM Australia TIme....

cya..