Personal list

Discussion about hacker.org's server
alternateblackhat

Personal list

Post by alternateblackhat »

ok i have a list of languages i pulled together i want to learn, end goal i want to be able to finding holes in webpages and programs. what should i learn first in the list 1-7 / would any one like to add to the list

C,
C++,
Java,
Perl,
LISP,
Ruby,
sql

----i have html and python under my belt already----
plope0726

Re: Personal list

Post by plope0726 »

alternateblackhat wrote:ok i have a list of languages i pulled together i want to learn, end goal i want to be able to finding holes in webpages and programs. what should i learn first in the list 1-7 / would any one like to add to the list

C,
C++,
Java,
Perl,
LISP,
Ruby,
sql

----i have html and python under my belt already----
If you want to find holes in applications you'll probably need to add assembly to your list.
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

PHP and JavaScript would be handy for the web front then you could practice things on www.hackthissite.org, you could lean ASP too but then again you could also put your computer in a large microwave oven on full power for a few hours (or until the microwave breaks) then when that's done you could drop it onto a motorway and watch vehicles smashing into it, both rather unproductive. ASM definitely is the ticket for the program front and and a good book on the subject of program exploitation is Hacking:The Art of Exploitation which is Linux based (same principles apply to windows), teaches C + some basic assembly language too. Don't do anything naughty though...
alternateblackhat

thats hilarious, thank you, that helps next book ill probably do java.
alternateblackhat

is there a order what i should learn after java, or is everything just as important?
CodeX

Post by CodeX »

if your not on a schedule just learn everything you can when you can, if you get stuck on anything do something else for a while then come back to it, even if that while is a year or something while you learn and use some more programming languages.