Detecting Wget Connections

Discussion about hacker.org's server
falcon2424

Detecting Wget Connections

Post by falcon2424 »

For one of my coding projects, I'm looking at how content changes on blogs and am using Wget to download some pages.

Obviously, some server admins aren't terribly happy about bots spidering their pages and have set up blocks. For example, I apparently tripped one over at slashdot and now have an IP ban up against my shell account's server. While that's not a particularly big deal, it does tell me that I've got at least error in my code, and I'm trying to think if there are any detection methods I haven't guarded against.

First of all, I've changed my user-agent string to be mozilla from a windows box. I've also set my recursion depth to 1, with no-clobber and am only going after either main-pages or section pages. This means that I shouldn't be, for example, loading a ton of user-profiles or other unusually used pages.

The next thing I've changed is that I've set my wait time to be a random value between 0 and 6 seconds (although, was an oversight and might have been how the ./ admins noticed my bot's activities).

Is there anything else that I'm forgetting that might let a server admin differentiate my scripts from a normal user?
jack krauser

Re: Detecting Wget Connections

Post by jack krauser »

falcon2424 wrote:For one of my coding projects, I'm looking at how content changes on blogs and am using Wget to download some pages.

Obviously, some server admins aren't terribly happy about bots spidering their pages and have set up blocks. For example, I apparently tripped one over at slashdot and now have an IP ban up against my shell account's server. While that's not a particularly big deal, it does tell me that I've got at least error in my code, and I'm trying to think if there are any detection methods I haven't guarded against.

First of all, I've changed my user-agent string to be mozilla from a windows box. I've also set my recursion depth to 1, with no-clobber and am only going after either main-pages or section pages. This means that I shouldn't be, for example, loading a ton of user-profiles or other unusually used pages.

The next thing I've changed is that I've set my wait time to be a random value between 0 and 6 seconds (although, was an oversight and might have been how the ./ admins noticed my bot's activities).

Is there anything else that I'm forgetting that might let a server admin differentiate my scripts from a normal user?
sorry dude i don't know your programme :oops: :lol:
hacker is a life style. its one that alters how you think, you perception of reality, your way of dealing with things in general, as well as things so common as how you talk, how you carry yourself, and even when and how long you sleep.

by Loyal_Dark
Captain Segfault

Post by Captain Segfault »

You don't know wget? What kind of hacker are you? Any real hacker who hasn't been asleep for the past decade has at least heard of it.

You should check it out.
Hacksign

Post by Hacksign »

wget ...
emmmmmmm

it is of no use under windows

but usefull under linux/unix~~
falcon2424

Post by falcon2424 »

Hacksign wrote:wget ...
emmmmmmm

it is of no use under windows

but usefull under linux/unix~~
Why isn't is useful in windows? You can certainly download and run a windows version.
Hacksign

Post by Hacksign »

but who will do this

so many so many people download files from internet by only clicking the link then begin to download in my place the use a tool called 'thunder'

no one use wget~
falcon2424

Post by falcon2424 »

Hacksign wrote:but who will do this

so many so many people download files from internet by only clicking the link then begin to download in my place the use a tool called 'thunder'

no one use wget~
You can do the same thing in linux, when I want a single file, I might just download it from firefox.

Wget is used for downloading all of a website. For example, the command 'wget -r -l 0 hacker.org' will download hacker.org and every file linked to from the hacker.org server.

Also, you can use wget when you're downloading a really big file because wget can resume downloads that were disconnected. So, when I'm downloading my copy of a Ubuntu DVD and my internet connection dies 2GB in, I don't have to re-download the whole file.
Hacksign

Post by Hacksign »

yeah but when i download a single file i usually download it form the firefox

same with u

:)
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

Captain Segfault wrote:
You don't know wget? What kind of hacker are you? Any real hacker who hasn't been asleep for the past decade has at least heard of it.

You should check it out.
i have windows and i don't use it :wink: if i had linux maybe :wink: :twisted: :twisted:
hacker is a life style. its one that alters how you think, you perception of reality, your way of dealing with things in general, as well as things so common as how you talk, how you carry yourself, and even when and how long you sleep.

by Loyal_Dark
memesmith

Post by memesmith »

of course you can use wget in windows. what with grep, sed, awk and the rest of the gnuwin32 ports it's damned useful
jack krauser

Post by jack krauser »

memesmith wrote:of course you can use wget in windows. what with grep, sed, awk and the rest of the gnuwin32 ports it's damned useful
well i will try but... :lol:

by Loyal_Dark